Black Arowana

Fishie123

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishie, if you want a general gauge of how large the black will be, look at the silver aro in the HFF Albany tank. If I'm not mistaken, blacks grow to about the same size as silvers but with different coloration.

On another note, there's nothing to feel 'uneasy' about with having a solo aro in the tank. Personally, I feel that having one aro per tank not only gives the fish all the space it wants, but it is also easier to enjoy viewing the fish. Having a huge tank full of aros looks cool, but you don't really get to examine each one and build a bond with them. Aros are actually very personable fish, as I've recently found out. Mine is a shy eater lol, if there is anybody else in the room with me during feeding time, he refuses to eat. But when I follow my usual routine and feed him without anyone in the room, he chows down like crazy. Spend time in front of the tank so that the fish will recognise you and identify you with feeding, then he will follow you in front of the tank.

i am bad with sizes - i always either under or over estimate. i dont know how ,long the black aro is... i so think its only 30 cms!

anyways, fishie,

1300 would be ideal

mixing aros, is a risk, even in a large group, losses must be anticipated, but acn be avoided by line of sigh breaks. remember, to have line of sigh breaks, you gotta have a massive tank!! aros get huge!

i would not recommend it seeing that this is your first aro and questions you are asking is somewhat newbie questions. I am not dissing dont get me wrong.

but when you put multiple large fish in a tank, you are starting to delve into dynamice of behaviour, more filtration, etc.

its like engineering - when you build things biggest, stronger faster, it involves different rules when doing so.

In a tank with 2 black aros, you should have a 1500L minimum! and 2 is a bad number, you should just ghet 5 minimum maybe 8.

MFK has plenty of info on it.

i suggest master keeping one aro, good tank, filters and size. then see about an ARO COMM later when you are more versed with their behaviour, feeding, care.

questions.

what filtration do you have?

decided on tank size?

Go minimum 1200L (henwards tank size), fit a sump with 1-3 chambers with variety of filter media and put on an fx5 for best results - this should be enough. I run an fx5 and a 5ft sump on my 180g tank and it does a good job. + having 1 aro would be pretty boring, get large schooling fish (loaches look good - refer to loach master aka Henward for tips; however sharks/tinfoils/chalceus etc also look nice), once the aro gets big enough, add in some cichlids maybe? Indo tigers look good with aros too.

Another sweet combo you could try is a heavily planted tank (Plants are good especially if it spooks, as it will cushion it), and once the arowana passes 40cm (as well as keeping him well fed) you could try a LARGE school of cardinals (or whatever you prefer) as a small schooling fish). I have seen this effect and it is badass! The aro is not bothered with the small fish when it can just get a good feed from you - note: Aro must be of DECENT size for this to work, 20cm aro=bye bye little fish.

But a key point (in agreement with DavidR) is a wide tank, especially with silvers and blacks, room to turn is a must, the arowana looks much more comfortable and exploits better behaviour + it means a larger tank :D

Get bichirs as tankmates; they are awesome. :roll:

You're realistically looking at a budget of $1500 - $2000 and some for a big tank, stand, sump and all plumbing / fitout. I figure it'll be $600 for a tank from greg (if he's got the glass), $500-$800 for the stand (if custom made / steel), $250 for sump tank, $500 for pump + media, plumbing, heaters etc.

If money isn't an issue then the aro was a great purchase. If those numbers scare you then you might want to give it a miss.

Price wasn't an issue. But Greg quoted me $1500 just for the tank, $2000 just for a stand -_-". I do have money. But not that much. My budget was originally as what TO said. $1500-$2000. But i wasn't seriously thinking of adding other fish though. But Ive watched tons of videos about discus and Arowana? If I am able to mix the aro with the discus. It be pretty cool. And I would of been able to increase the price. I know people is asking ("Why did you buy the aro is you dont have the money or the space"). But I bought it for a gift to my girlfriend. And my girlfriend loves the black arowana.

168485_10150180392023378_553793377_8756236_536786_n.jpg

I know people is asking ("Why did you buy the aro is you dont have the money or the space"). But I bought it for a gift to my girlfriend. And my girlfriend loves the black arowana.

Thats pretty much what we are all thinking yeah...

Great reason for buying a fish, they all love the black arowana. Tell her she now needs to spend $3,000 to provide it with an adequate home.

Thats pretty much what we are all thinking yeah...

Great reason for buying a fish, they all love the black arowana. Tell her she now needs to spend $3,000 to provide it with an adequate home.

And this is a bad thing?? He is now able to get a large tank 8)

Your motivation for buying it doesn't change the fact you've purchased a potentially 3' active fish that is going to need a large tank to survive. :roll:

Have you got a price from Hollywood for a complete set up? Probably would have been a good idea to do that before buying the fish...

And this is a bad thing?? He is now able to get a large tank 8)

I was more questioning the motive and getting at the fact that they hadnt probably quite considered the maintainence of the fish that will grow that large (obviously there was some realisation hence this thread) and how she would feel when the whole 'lovely fishy' had worn off and she had to forgo other things to get a big tank instead.

But I never said it was a bad thing, Your right actually quite genius if indeed he wanted a monster tank and a big awesome aro, blame the girlfriend :)

Fishie, how long is Albany willing to hold the fish for you? If you haven't got the tank and stand made already, you're looking at a considerable amount of time before the fish hits the water..

Things to factor in are:

1. The time/ cost to make the tank/ stand/ sump (unless you can buy something ready to go)

2. Getting the tank into the house (either gather every friend you have or hire someone to do it) - it's a bigger job than you first think..

3. The cycling period (depending on how fast you can get it up to speed, but if you want a good fish in the long run then I'd say get as much bacteria in there as you can)

All up, you're probably looking at approximately 1-2 months..? Probably closer to 2, IMO. Also remember that the juvenile period of arowanas is key to their long-term growth, so they need lots of space/ good food/ good water. I'm sure Albany will provide the food/ water conditions but space might be an issue.

Just some things to think about.. Hope this helps! :wink:

P/S Also worth considering what kind of floor the tank will be going on, since 1 litre of water = 1kg (not to mention the weight of the tank/ sump/ stand which would all add up)

I have no problem buying the tank and stuff. Ive got my tank sorted. I know someone who might be able to to supply me with some steel. Which would be cheaper then getting the stand from Hollywood ("As it is $1500-$2000 just for the stand") But need to know what thickness of the steel do i need? What kind of coating does the steal need. Etc.... Other then that, I am able to get the stand within 2 weeks, And have already purchased the Tank. Ive got a tank for a sump, but Ive never done a sump before -_-. As what I said "Money no Issue for me".

My tanks 2000 x 900 x 600 - 1080L, Im guessing your stand would cost about around $1000, depends where you go tho some people charge heaps and some do some wicked deals.

$1500 for a tank seems a little high, you might be able to haggle on the price - compare quotes from other companys (not just in auckland) And see who can give you the best deal.

If you drop the height you could get away with using 10mm glass and that would drop the price by a couple hundred dollars