Britstlenoses can talk

mcrudd

I was doing my big tank clean up and picked up this rock formation thingy I have. What I did not know is that my male bristlenose have dug right under it and climbed into those little holes in the bottom to show the moulding. As I lifted it out and the water gushed out I heard this little squeek sound and on further investigation I saw him in there. I have the whole rock in my quarantine tank and hope he will get out soon. I will have to use silicone and cover the holes up, not a good hiding place that. I never thought he would dig under it. Hopefully he will come out, saw his tail sticking out earlier :o

But I never knew they made sounds. He did it again when I lifted the rock out to the quarantine tank :o

Slowly remove it from the water. Give him a chance to get out???

I tried that, he just stays put, he knows I won't let him out of the water for too long :wink:

I used a airstone directly under the hole, that made him wiggle out for a little, but as soon as he realises what I am up to ...in he goes :facepalm:

They tend to dig in (they flare out their fins and stuff to lock themselves into holes) when you remove them from the water, leave him to see if he comes out by himself if not you may have to get some diags and cut a bigger hole for him to get out.

I thought he was flarring me in anger :o Sorry to sound super stupid but what are diags ? (google image of diags gives diagrams and one shocking pic :o )

Yeah same diff :) But I have had to hack up ornaments to get bristle noses out before..

Let the hacking begin, but tomorrow, poor guy was squeeking like mad everytime I attmepted to let him out slowly, he needs his rest, left him a nice piece of pumpkin and some algae wafer as well, just to say sorry :-?

Gosh he just does not wanna move :facepalm: How long can they go without water, I held the ornament out for a while hoping he would plop back to the water because he knows he needs it, but he just made me super nervous and I put the ornament back into the water :-?

Gosh he just does not wanna move :facepalm: How long can they go without water, I held the ornament out for a while hoping he would plop back to the water because he knows he needs it, but he just made me super nervous and I put the ornament back into the water :-?

People have had them stuck in driftwood out of the water for an hour or more.

Goodness they can go without water for long :o

I held him out of water for about three minutes then thought to myself its too long I am gonna kill him :facepalm: perhaps I will try a bit longer now once he sticks his tail out again, its scary stuff, never gonna buy ornaments with holes again, even if the holes are right at the bottom of it :-?

edited to add question

Will he ever hold on till he dies, or will he eventually let go so he can get to the water?

As long as he is not stuck he will come out. Why do you want him out though? If he can get out I will guarantee that he comes out while you are asleep.

The holes are moulding holes at the bottom of an ornament, I want him out so I can seal it up, I will buy him a holey type ornament that is designed for him to hide in. I feel uncomfortable with his diggin under the gravel to go in and out :wink:

BNs like to burrow under gravel to get in and out of tight spaces :wink:

Can't beat Ryan's story but we certainly had one out of the tank for over 2 hours (possibly up to 4) before it was noticed. It was in a large bit of Java fern we had removed from the tank.