Places around auckland to view natives

Joshlikesfish

hey josh. i'd be pretty interested to know some decent spots too, but i get the feeling people like to keep them a secret? i have been to several waterways on the shore but have not had much luck.

i recently caught a tiny bully from the chelsea lakes over here on the shore, but i had to trawl through about 300 gambusia first.. i go back often in search of more bullies, because the lake is so close to the ocean.

i also spent a bit of time in the waterways/creeks down kaipatiki - and all i found were eels.. but maybe i am not looking in the right way..

are there tricks to finding them? do we need to get out of auckland to have better luck with finding natives? i'm looking for inanga/bullies/koura/torrent fish

if you hear of any "secret" spots.. send me a "secret" PM and let me know where lol

i also spent a bit of time in the waterways/creeks down kaipatiki - and all i found were eels.. but maybe i am not looking in the right way..

I have been doing a lot of recon in this area, and it is teeming with life... Bullies, galaxids, Shrimp are main occupants I've found so far... I normally go scout out an area during the day to see what looks likely and to get an idea of access etc. Then I have been going back to these spots at night armed with a light and a camera.... So far I have visited, Kaipatiki, Eskdale, Le Roys/Little Shoal Bay areas and they all have something in them... which I was surprised about considering the urban environs they are next to.

One thing I can say is that natives have amazing camo... there has been times I've been looking directly at something and not realised until it twitches ever so slightly.

Hope this helps.

PS: Now the cyclone and bad weather has gone I'll be heading back out to the streams and having another look... keep an eye on my thread for updates and photos :)

very.. verrry early this morning i went back to the local stream i used to play in as a kid. the stream is nothing dramatic, very modest. let's say a dribbling stream with bad breath and a flash haircut. reminded me of.. oh don't worry.

with a bit of patience, several energy drinks and a massive mcmuffin, i managed to spot heaps of stuff in the three hours i was there. eels, shrimp, heaps of inanga, banded kokopu plus the usual DIEbusia. i don't believe i saw anything that looked like a bully.

before i left i managed to net 2 inanga and one banded kokopu using stellas techniques :bow: and have brought them home to join the bully i already have in my 3foot native tank. the inanga are already chomping on bloodworms as eagerly as the bully, but the kokopu is being a bit stubborn so far. i have offered it ox heart and a dried cricket but he doesn't seem interested yet.. maybe he just needs to settle in...

needless to say my eyes will be glued to that tank tonight....

also gotta say about this nznative thing, is that it is a pretty hard core effort to keep the temp in 180l below 20 in this muggy auckland weather! but then again i'm just using frozen bottles of water... lots of them..!

this is bridge end, behind the village.

I'd be keen as to show you guys around!

In Lucas creek we have-

freshwater native=longfin eels, common bullys(possibly crans as well), Inanga, smelt.

freshwater introduced= Gambusia, Koi Carp.

brackish= mud crab, triple fin

Marine wanderer= mullet

we also got some others in Oteha Vally stream.

Probably going with disgustipated (funny name :lol:) this week, will let you know if we sort something out.

funny ha ha, or funny funny? ;) my real name is mahn.

i have been on google earth all morning, scoping out lucas creek.

pretty keen to head up there this avo/evening, just do some catchy releasy and have a looksy what's there. anyone that would like to join us then send me a pm.

Today I went to Karamatura forest park in the Waitakere ranges, just past Huia and there are streams galore in there. Many are fast flowing but along the loop walk there are tiny pockets of water that has come from up the hill - I saw what looked like a tiny spider on top of the water, too small and not enough light to get a good look though.

Very nice to place to go for a walk - I can't vouch that there are critters to be caught but I would certainly think there would be. An experienced fisher would know which rocks to look under :wink:

If you haven't been, head for Titirangi Village, then at the Sculpture roundabout take Huia Rd and follow it till you get to the Historic museum. Past Woodlands Park and Laingholm, just before the museum on the opposite side of the road is the entrance to the park.

Today I went to Karamatura forest park in the Waitakere ranges, just past Huia and there are streams galore in there. Many are fast flowing but along the loop walk there are tiny pockets of water that has come from up the hill - I saw what looked like a tiny spider on top of the water, too small and not enough light to get a good look though.

Very nice to place to go for a walk - I can't vouch that there are critters to be caught but I would certainly think there would be. An experienced fisher would know which rocks to look under :wink:

If you haven't been, head for Titirangi Village, then at the Sculpture roundabout take Huia Rd and follow it till you get to the Historic museum. Past Woodlands Park and Laingholm, just before the museum on the opposite side of the road is the entrance to the park.

Thats not too far from where we have the AFKA meetings (I think)

You do pass through Green Bay to get there if you come from Hillsborough way. I might even come on such a trip if it wasn't at night.

Oh, I forgot to mention - at the park there are long drop toilets only..... the sort where people don't put the lids down so there are flies buzzing about. :sick:

Best toilets are back at Huia where there is a little park, before you go over a bridge. Little Huia I think it's called.