26 degrees too cold for tropicals?

the-obstacle

I've been looking for angels for a while now and asked the question at the bottom of this auction http://www.trademe.co.nz/link.aspx?i=12144&id=349619400.

The response seems weird to me - can anybody else back this up?

I have a tank at 26 degrees for my pandas which is the top of their temp range and figured it's be fine for angels... was I mistaken?

lol that seller is known for not knowing what he is doing don't worry about that :)

A google search doesn't take long to see that an angels natural temp is around 26C in the breeding season so it is fine..

I remember quite a few years ago when I first started out when we kept most our tanks at 24 now it is at 26, either way a few C isn't going to make a difference.

I've been looking for angels for a while now and asked the question at the bottom of this auction http://www.trademe.co.nz/link.aspx?i=12144&id=349619400.

The response seems weird to me - can anybody else back this up?

I have a tank at 26 degrees for my pandas which is the top of their temp range and figured it's be fine for angels... was I mistaken?

He's a crack monkey. 26° pretty much covers everything tropical and a lot of coldwater fish will even be ok in it.

They are not the true scalare, but peru altum comes close enough I think.

You mean they ARE P. scalare, and not true altum? "Peru Altum" is a common name for this form of scalare because of how it resembles the true altum. But they're about as close as we get to altums here and are really nice fish. I had a group of 7 of them intended for my big tank but decided to leave them out when I got the 6 uaru.

http://finarama.com/tba/chronicles/peruvianscalare.htm

26° pretty much covers everything tropical and a lot of coldwater fish will even be ok in it.

Yeah, and pH 7.0 is good for pretty much everything too.

I'm not sure if people have noticed, but the "tropical" fish we keep come from a wide range of environments, looking at american cichlids they range from Uruguay to the Equator to the southern parts of the USA. Anyone who thinks they will all be fine in some middle-of-the-road temperature is kidding themselves. Even though C. panda and the P. scalare come from a similar area South America (both Peru) their habitats are obviously different and 25C is about the upper limits for C. panda and 26C at the low end of what P. scalare will thrive in. There are also differences in the water conditions best suited to the who fish. Yes you could possibly get away with keeping them at 25-26C, but it won't be ideal for either species and will likely suffer in the long term because of it. C. panda would probably benefit from the temperature being dropped to ~20C for a month or so every year, and P. scalare may be more prone to disease at lower temperatures.

I kept my Peru altums at 28-29C and they thrived.

Smidey I have no what relevance your fish from a large stable lake environment (which by all accounts should be ideally kept at ~26C anyway) have to the temperature differences between different riverine fish on a continent on the other side of the world. I know people, particularly the african cichlid keepers, like to bag Phil because of his dubious history with naming/identifying fish, but in this case I'd say he's right on the money with the advice about water conditions and the fish are really nice.

Smidey I have no what relevance your fish from a large stable lake environment (which by all accounts should be ideally kept at ~26C anyway) have to the temperature differences between different riverine fish on a continent on the other side of the world. I know people, particularly the african cichlid keepers, like to bag Phil because of his dubious history with naming/identifying fish, but in this case I'd say he's right on the money with the advice about water conditions and the fish are really nice.

i was refering to his generalisation of "Tropical Fish". The info he provided may be correct for the angels he has but wrong for others as you have rightly pointed out the differences between the tropicals from different regions. the relevance would be the fact that tangs are a tropical species to.

Tropical fish in general need at least 27 to 32 to keep blood flowing..Colder means live yes but in good health no....P;

You mean they ARE P. scalare, and not true altum? "Peru Altum" is a common name for this form of scalare because of how it resembles the true altum

Yeah.. that's what I meant to say haha Thanks. :D

They are not altum! Not even close, but still very pretty.

No wholesaler has these particular ones. They have short fin ones.

i was refering to his generalisation of "Tropical Fish". The info he provided may be correct for the angels he has but wrong for others as you have rightly pointed out the differences between the tropicals from different regions. the relevance would be the fact that tangs are a tropical species to.

Yeah I missed that question down the bottom! :oops:

By "exactly the same" do you mean they're silver angels with three black stripes? People often have different definitions of "exactly the same", some would say true Altums look exactly the same as common striped angels, some would say platinum looks exactly the same as tinfoil...