what does culling or cull mean?

jarrodrussell

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously i'm not going to stop now i've got fry that look somewhat like what I want. Hence the confusion and previous comment. I have something in mind and don't expect to achieve anything much anytime soon.

Obviously you have to start with the best available fish to be able to create anything reasonably spectacular. Hence I haven't gone and bought average or just because fish. Everything has a feature that appeals. And having invested all that time, effort and money in them obviously it makes sense to breed them and get what I want out of them, not have a whole bunch of fish that I can sell for $30 each on auction sites. I'd rather keep my numbers down, and several generations down the track have something close to what I have in my head, or at the very least fish with improved fins and colour.

Thanks Josh, I think I may have seen the article you are referring to. I've spent way to much time trawling the internet researching everything I can.

Quality vs Quantity, right?

I still believe you can get the type of fish you want in the end without culling off everything thats not up to high standards. You just don't use them to breed. Also, you may end up with some wicked throws :D

That would still be considered culling in a breeding sense ie you are taking them out of the gene-pool

+1

Culling doesn't just mean killing...it refers to selectively removing individuals from the population (aka gene pool) regardless of the reason you are doing it. You may be breeding for a specific trait, need more room, fish is too old, or sick etc. But it doesn't always mean that the fish is substandard or there is even anything wrong with it. You can do this by selling less desirable fish, giving them away, killing them, feeding them to bigger fish, etc.

That would still be considered culling in a breeding sense ie you are taking them out of the gene-pool

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to direct that at you. I was just stating it in general because some people seemed to still be stuck on killing.

Nice of you to give your bung fighter a home regardless of his shortcomings;P

I understand what culling is. I just don't think everything should be killed for the culling. Like my "bung" fighter for example.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to direct that at you. I was just stating it in general because some people seemed to still be stuck on killing.

Nice of you to give your bung fighter a home regardless of his shortcomings;P

Fair enough :D

Anybody know any methods other then the vodka and clove oil one? I'll be breeding double tail fighters soon and really don't want to use the bag method I normally did. Last time I did it the bag popped and ended up everywhere :sick:

You can try pithing, which involves shoving a needle/probe through the brain.

But in my view, clove oil or enthanol is the best.

Fair enough :D

Anybody know any methods other then the vodka and clove oil one? I'll be breeding double tail fighters soon and really don't want to use the bag method I normally did. Last time I did it the bag popped and ended up everywhere :sick:

clove oil method is quick and easy and from what I understand is the most humane on the fish (They go to sleep first).