800L DIY Background

Josh_S

well done! we have done the same thing for our 800l, however, we had to cut it into sections to fit it in the tank, but when we put the water into the tank it all died and one of the sections broke because of the pressure! :( is yours made of poly? also how do u manage to hold it in the water without it popping up? cheeeerz :)

well done! we have done the same thing for our 800l, however, we had to cut it into sections to fit it in the tank, but when we put the water into the tank it all died and one of the sections broke because of the pressure! :( is yours made of poly? also how do u manage to hold it in the water without it popping up? cheeeerz :)

i had the same thing happen with one of mine i just found i had to use heaps more silicon and thicker beads i also left it to cure for a week its been going well for almost 3 years now

Yes its made of polly. I did a primer coat of cement and water first, then about 3 coats of cement and sand. On the last added black oxide for a darker look. Next i had to cut it into 3 pieces to fit between the bracing. (had to use a grinder as it was so bloody thick) I used about 4 tubes of silicone to hold it in there and for beads around the perimeter. I made it very snug and it sits hard up against the top bracing so it hardly needed gluing in at all. None the less its better to be on the safe side. Left it to go off overnight. Applied final coat of plaster to hide the joins. And Bobs your uncle.

I like that it hides the overflow box in the rear right hand corner.

Looks good, what are the tank dimensions??

Tank is 1800 x 700 x 700

Just trying to get the sump all plumbed up at the moment. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some updated pics. Tank is now full of water, sump is all plumbed in and working, aquascaping done. Well sort of. Please suggest how i could improve it. It's eventually going to house lots of trophs and a few other compatible tank mates.

For the mean time I may move my malawis over to it. All it needs now is a lid :happy2:

DSC02489.jpg

DSC02488.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

looks really good

Cheers :D I think rock piles could be a tad bigger though. And i need to add a powerhead or two to create a flow at bottom of tank.

Also, does anyone have a solution to fix the inlets siphoning back into sump when pump is turned off? This is not a huge problem as inlets only sit 10mm into water so will not over flow sump. But is still a pain.

Awesome work, you could make these and sell for a nice profit :D

p.s I have a piece of driftwood that looks exactly the same as yours

Yea thought about selling them, but dont think anyone would be willing to pay for all the man hours that went into it. I think it was definitely a labour of love. LOL

Got the drift wood from hff. I think it suits the tank well.