are rainbow skinks leagle to keep

first teach your cat to distinguish between native and non native,then you do the same so you know weather or not to mount a rescue mission?

`if you want to be sure`

about what ID?I know,that you are dealing with a bunch of twits!

be the day when you catch me doing their dirty work for them.Could be today that they decide at their whim to put bts`s into the same category,think on that?

You guys do realize that correct grammar and spelling make it much easier to get your point across yes?

Repto, I have absolutely no idea what you just said, I've read it several times and I'm still confused, were you being sarcastic or are you making a valid point?

Far be it from me to be part of the spelling and grammar police but this seems to be becoming a real problem on this site of late, I'm not talking about honest typos.

I'm starting to think that it should become a rule that all posts must be edited correctly or be removed.........

if we are so worried about invasive species and helping the native populations of reptiles maybe DoC should exterminate the worst offenders, humans and cats.

we live in an urban area and have growing populations of both Rianbow and native skinks after planting and landscaping to promote them living on our property, from what I have seen Rainbows have had no impact on the natives living in the same areas with the natives florishing.

`if you want to be sure`

about what ID?I know,that you are dealing with a bunch of twits!

be the day when you catch me doing their dirty work for them.Could be today that they decide at their whim to put bts`s into the same category,think on that?

If they cant tell someone what to do with it, then there's something seriously wrong. Its not about doing their dirty work. Given its now public knowledge skaterreptilez has a rainbow skink in possession, I just thought he/she may want to save them selves any trouble. Maybe you have some other suggestions for the public....

Im aware of what could happen, what do you want me to do about it?.

I was going to get rainbow skinks of Trade me once and ask and here is the email I got back ...

Further to your query about Rainbow Skinks and permits last night.

I have asked DOC and MAF's resident herpetologist and this is what they have got back to me with:

"Anyone wanting to hold rainbow skinks requires a permit from DOC, under the Wildlife Act.

It is illegal for anyone to hold ‘absolutely protected’ wildlife without the permission of our Director-General. While I appreciate that it is somewhat odd that rainbow skinks (a known pest) is absolutely protected, this is the law as it currently stands – and this is something I am addressing with MAFBNZ as we speak. Until that resolution comes though, anyone wanting to do anything with rainbow skinks needs a permit from DOC.

To apply for the permit, the person should contact the relevant conservancy – in this case, East Coast/Bay of Plenty (ph: 07 349 7400, to call reception).

You are right on your interpretation on the release of rainbow skinks. It is illegal under the Wildlife Act to liberate any wildlife (without permission), this includes rainbow skinks."

So I was not correct in my interpretation: you do need a permit to keep them even though they are a pest species. This may change it seems, but as the law stands now, a permit is needed.

Thankyou for your call to the exotic pest and disease hotline, and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have other queries.

Best regards

http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/thr ... nks/facts/

Legal status

The rainbow skink is an Unwanted Organism under the Biosecurity Act 1993. It is illegal to knowingly communicate (move); release, or cause to be released; spread; sell, or offer for sale; exhibit; or breed rainbow skinks without the explicit permission of a MAF Biosecurity New Zealand Chief Technical Officer.

http://www.reptiles.org.nz/uploads/PDF/ ... 202010.pdf

Following a recommendation from the Department of Conservation, MAF Biosecurity

New Zealand has declared rainbow skink (Lampropholis delicata) as an Unwanted

Organism (UO) under the Biosecurity Act 1993, effective as of 7 July 2010. The

declaration is based on the risk posed to native lizards from competition for resources

with this invasive Australian skink.

I personally don't think I could kill one, would probably just keep it in a suitable enclosure for the rest of its life and adhere to the requirements

The rainbow skink is an Unwanted Organism under the Biosecurity Act 1993. It is illegal to knowingly communicate (move); release, or cause to be released; spread; sell, or offer for sale; exhibit; or breed rainbow skinks without the explicit permission of a MAF Biosecurity New Zealand Chief Technical Officer.