January 13, 201115 yr comment_415414 hey guys, I'm looking for a cheap old road bike that will allow me to keep up with my mates, instead of struggling with a mountain bike! &c:ry Looking for something below $150 OR I have a 90cm T5HO light unit with 2 working tubes I could swap Pretty much anything considered, so if anyone has an old road bike in Auckland lying around unused that doesn't need Major attention, has some form of gears and would fit my height of 167cm, PM me with some details! Thanks Report
January 13, 201115 yr comment_415419 Good luck at that price mate. You can get some really good bikes off trade me that are 10 - 15 years old, but they usually get snapped up pretty quick. This is really good except the guy has customized the handlebars and you would need new levers ect. Report
January 13, 201115 yr comment_415421 My parents may have an old one 100% working for that price. I used to ride it. It has the shifters on the down tube. You wont get anything modern for that price Report
January 13, 201115 yr Author comment_415453 Good luck at that price mate. You can get some really good bikes off trade me that are 10 - 15 years old, but they usually get snapped up pretty quick. This is really good except the guy has customized the handlebars and you would need new levers ect. Yea, hoping to find something old school so it won't cost too much,but don't wanna get caught up repairing alot, though don't mind replacing tires, brake pads etc. Something with a bit more than 10 speed good for going up hills faster? (used to 21 speeds on MTB lol) Report
January 13, 201115 yr comment_415470 Yea, hoping to find something old school so it won't cost too much,but don't wanna get caught up repairing alot, though don't mind replacing tires, brake pads etc. Something with a bit more than 10 speed good for going up hills faster? (used to 21 speeds on MTB lol) You could find something oldish that needs some basic repairing, but even then you are looking at $ 50 -100. To be honest there is not much difference between the top and low end gear ratio regardless of what you get. They usually just put a lot of gears in the middle which can get annoying. Don't go too old school, I would look for late 90's style. Basically if it has chrome stuff on it then don't get it. For a few reasons including rust and the buy price vs upkeep ect etc. At the end of the day it is up to you and depends on what you are after. If you find something on trade me post it up here and we can debate its potential :happy2: EDIT: in my above post I added a link but I am not allowed Report
January 13, 201115 yr comment_415471 EDIT: in my above post I added a link but I am not allowed Just pm it to him Report
January 13, 201115 yr comment_415488 EDIT: in my above post I added a link but I am not allowed Yes you are; dreams is showing genuine interest to purchase a bike. A link to TM for such a suitable bike is acceptable, unless it is your own bike and you could bypass trademe. Report
January 13, 201115 yr comment_415523 I mean I posted the link and it removed it, I must have to wait till certain amount of posts before I can link? all Good I will PM it. Report
January 14, 201115 yr Author comment_415639 In TM, they split road bike categories into Small (52cm & under), Medium (53 - 56cm), and Large (57cm & over) Do the measurements refer to the centre of the crank to the top of the seat tube? If my height is 167cm, which category would work for me? small and med? :-? Report
February 3, 201115 yr Author comment_419642 So....I ended up spending alot more than $150... :nilly: I Brought this; TM Description; Alloy Dollar reserve 53cm (to centre of top tube). RSX componentry. Professional weld to seat stay. Good training bike Got it for $265, yes it was definitely impulsive... but I'm pretty happy with it Everything is in a well maintained condition and all gears and brakes shift very smoothly. From research, Cannondale (USA) seems to be a very good bike maker. Back wheel is Campagnolo (Italy) and Front is Mavic (France) Its pretty light with the frame made from aluminium alloy and the Shimano RSX STI gear levers are very convenient when I get to the hills. Any opinions welcome Report
February 3, 201115 yr comment_419643 My first bike had a steel frame, ancient gears, was a "tarani" and cost just as much :lol: I think you got a good deal! Report
February 3, 201115 yr Author comment_419662 My first bike had a steel frame, ancient gears, was a "tarani" and cost just as much :lol: I think you got a good deal! yea, I 'think' it was a good deal as well, wasn't supposed to spend that much, but its nice to ride It also came with 2 sets of spare brake levers, a 7 disc cassette and a bike shirt. it needs an engine :dunno: :dunno: I'm the engine? Got up to 62km/h downhill :lol: Report
February 3, 201115 yr comment_419669 my old man refers to bikes as "sitting down walking machines", all his things with two wheels have motors. Report
February 3, 201115 yr comment_419676 It was a very good deal IMO David, maybe somebody tried to take it off the road? Report
February 3, 201115 yr comment_419683 So....I ended up spending alot more than $150... :nilly: I Brought this; Score. Great bike good price you will love it. now you need some padded shorts or you will start walking funny. Report
February 3, 201115 yr comment_419724 It was a very good deal IMO David, maybe somebody tried to take it off the road? Some cyclocross action you reckon? I certainly wouldn't expect it to live up to that sort of abuse. Good buy though, nice choice. Report
February 4, 201115 yr Author comment_419882 Score. Great bike good price you will love it. now you need some padded shorts or you will start walking funny. What do you mean by walking funny... Report
February 4, 201115 yr comment_419943 Put it this way, road bike seats are built for speed and not for comfort, so shorts with a padded butt are a must, or you will experience chaffing that is most unpleasant in the most embarrassing places that causes you to adopt an ungainly style of walking so as not to aggravate said chaffing Report
February 4, 201115 yr comment_419952 Put it this way, road bike seats are built for speed and not for comfort, so shorts with a padded butt are a must, or you will experience chaffing that is most unpleasant in the most embarrassing places that causes you to adopt an ungainly style of walking so as not to aggravate said chaffing Trust me :lol: Report
February 5, 201115 yr comment_420004 Yeah what they said. 8) Also you can get bruising depending on your riding style. But walking like you need a zimmer frame is good enough reason to get the pants. A good way to set the bike up is to sit on the bike balancing against a wall and then try to get into a comfy riding position. Then look down at your front axle/hub, if you can see it you need to raise the bars so you can only just see the front of it. ( the rest should be hidden behind the handle bars.) If you can't see it at all and cant lower the bars then raise the seat a bit Hope that helps. But you will still need the shorts Secretly, I sewed a folded over shammy into my undies when I was young, it works but it is a bit rough. Don't tell any one :roll: Report
February 5, 201115 yr comment_420014 What sort of clips do the pedals take? Can you get road bike shoes with the recessed cleats, because if you can, get those! - I have unfond memories of doing the splits at an intersection when putting my foot down to balance, because plastic and metal clips give you no purchase on tarseal :oops: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.