Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

oxheart

Featured Replies

Hi again,

The axolotl I am looking at getting has been fed oxheart all its life and nothing else except it ate a goldfish once. It is about five years old and looks good but will there be any problems with it health wise that I wouldn't see from only having oxheart? If I get it I will swap it onto Hot House Turtles Axolotl food, plus Flukers river shrimp and I am also looking at dragon fly larvae in a can ( can't remember manufacturer's ). Plus I was thinking of trout pellets or the axolotl pellets. Which pellet would be better, the trout or the axolotl one? Thanks for any advice given and thanks so far for the advice I have received already.

Christine

Care sheets for these all say they should have a varied diet eg; Axolotls are carnivorous and should be fed every 3-4 days with a varied diet of appropriately sized prey items, such as bloodworms, earthworms, crickets, blackworms, whiteworms, lean meat, small pieces of shrimp, daphnia, mosquito larvae, very small snails and appropriately sized fish pellets. Feed just as much as they can comfortably eat within 10 minutes.

I would think nothing but ox heart may not be so good for them? Ox heart is said to be very lean though so that is good.

Ours ate earth worms. Blood worms would have been way too small for it.

The axolotl tucker is good stuff if you can find it. I don't like the idea of feeding axolotls land animals as it just doesn't seem like a natural diet. It should be fairly easy however to switch to a staple diet of frozen axolotl food or pellets with occasional treats such as bloodworms.

The axolotl tucker is good stuff if you can find it. I don't like the idea of feeding axolotls land animals as it just doesn't seem like a natural diet. It should be fairly easy however to switch to a staple diet of frozen axolotl food or pellets with occasional treats such as bloodworms.

Earthworms and slugs commonly fall into water ways being eaten by fish/axolotls. I get your point though, I would not like to go feeding my axolotls black beetles or spiders or anything like that, In saying that i'm sure even they would occasionally get snapped up, And remember also that lots of flies start out in the water so if they are good for them then why not when they are flying about, just my thoughts, could be way off so correct me if im wrong

In Regards to original question I would agree stongly with getting on a varied diet either in the way of the commercial "tuckers" available or "mixing it up" yourself. I use salmon pellets, axolotl pellets, bloodworms, axolotl tucker, small amounts of oxheart and liver. and once a year tadpoles when my frogs are breeding. All my young axolotls live on waterworms and daphnia aswell as baby snails.

In a pet shop I was at the other day they were feeding their axylotyls almost-frog-tadpoles..

Poor "almost frog tadpoles", The axolotls would of loved it. For some reason it seems less sadistic feeding them tadpoles and baby fish that are swallowed fast as opposed to a frog that has reasonable brain functions or a large fish that hangs out its mouth for half an hour

Thanks for all your replies. I have her on good food now, no more oxheart.

Im a bit concerned that a fish solely fed on oxheart has been suddenly taken off it. Maybe taking the amount down and replacing it with the new food over the space of a month or two would be good, And oxheart is good for them. The point I am making is they need to be Varied and from the other posts it seems thats the consensus.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.