incubator

melrick1

Hi there guys, have a big red ear slider looking like she is getting ready to lay soon. Was wondering if anyone has any easy tips on a reptile incubator or has a cheep one available for buying?

She had a fair few eggs last year but of course no incubator… I didn’t really want to go out and spend a fortune.

And I know people on here will have all sorts of ideas how to help lol :)

Wasnt looking to go into production, just the experience of hatching and growing a couple of my own is the goal.

It is a shame that many people and pet shops have created a bad feel for redies.

And this place is generaly good to educate the people who are in the hobby for the love of it.

That is fair enough, and I agree with you 100% on that aspect and it is terrible that it happens to such nice creatures.

The people who are selling them are responsible also, it’s the same with dogs and other pets, the owner/breeder is responsible to where they go and if the buyer is able to accommodate them.

Animals rule our life lol, and I just wanted a wee bit of advice so we could have a new experience with one of our reptiles. There is still plenty of room in our turtle habitat which dominates the back garden haha

still a good thing to do apart from the previous mentioned cons ?

first get your eggs.Dig them up as soon as you can after laying.if you do this you don`t have to be too worried

about the eggs position .A late discovered nest that has started to develop you would have to be really careful to keep the eggs in the same position as you find them.Get an icecream container,click clack etc and put s few inches of pre moistened vermiculite.Get the weight of the vermiculite and add the same weight of cooled boiled water,mix it well so the moisture is evenly distributed through the medium.add the eggs in rows so they are half in half out,all you have to do is make small depression and put them in it.it should be damp enough that you can squeeze it together in a clump but not squeeze excess water out?Cover your eggs with a damp handee towel etc and put the lid on.put them in your incubatorCheck weekly,if the paper has dried out,re wet it ,if still damp leave it.if it seems to dry out lot you cn dd a smll open container of water,jam jar etc,nothing with too much surface area.Any sign of mould change the paper for fresh one.Temps between 26-30c google will give you more precise temps for sex determination.good luck,you can`t beat the buzz you get when you see the first little head poking out.