Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Would you use Raid

Featured Replies

Would you use Raid Automatic Natural Pyrethrum in your home if you have reptiles? My reptiles are in a seperate room and the door is always closed. I just cannot stand the flies!!!! I have one of those hanging fly traps but it does not work so I was thinking of getting the natural Raid system but I am worried about the reptiles. Do you think it would be safe to use?

I wouldnt, if it kills bugs then it cant be good for us or our pets. even if we are much bigger.

must be some plants you could keep around the house to help repel them. Seem to recall (could be completely wrong) my Nanna having marigolds in the garden to keep them or maybe it was another insect away..

flies can be a real nuisance huh

I see Raids Natural Pyrethrum comes from daisies.

"Even small amounts of pyrethrin are enough to kill most common insects" quote off raids website.

I wonder if there is anything similar on the market that works simply as a repellent.

  • Author

Thanks guys. Its so tempting as I HATE flies but I love my reptiles so will have to give it a miss. Will have to do some research to find a repellent that wont harm the reptiles.

I see Raids Natural Pyrethrum comes from daisies.

"Even small amounts of pyrethrin are enough to kill most common insects" quote off raids website.

I wonder if there is anything similar on the market that works simply as a repellent.

there is, there are two strengths of the same cans available. One is 100% & the other is less, can't remember the strength of the lesser.

  • Author

I dont like the idea of breathing it in myself which is why I have never used it. I will hang in there and find an alternative.

On another pet forum they were discussing more pet-friendly fly repellents and hanging a bunch of mint in the room seems to deter flies coming in.

You could also try things like setting smelly traps in the garden so that instead of heading in open windows, they go in the traps. There's a Trademe seller in Chch who sells awesome traps if you can't be bothered making your own.

These won't be 100% effective I imagine, but could be worth a try if it cuts fly numbers.

  • Author

I have one of those but it is not working for me. not sure what I am doing wrong but it has not caught one fly yet :o

Try using a smellier bait, use a variety of baits (sardines? fish? catfood? rotten fruit?),make sure it stays moist (but not soaking) have it in a sunny spot, low to ground... Don't clean all out the dead flies once you catch they cos they add to the smell.

get a tea light burner and buy some sage and or peppermint oil, mix a couple drops of one or the other in water in the tea light burner. Or you can just burn sage leaves. I like the peppermint oil myself as it smells nice and the flies keep well away.

I use it, though never in the room that i keep mine, or adjoining rooms. i have lids with only ventiliation at the back next to the walls, so i deem it to be ok.

  • Author

Thanks for all the tips bdspider and Carlos & Siran. I will give them a try :D

Hey Morcs - thanks for letting us know that it works for you. At least we have heard from someone who uses it. I would have to use it in an adjoining room so I think that it would be better not to take the chance.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.