Tanklog of a ~400L 1200mm Native Tank - New photos 02/07/12

blueether

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2011-01-11%2018.57.34.jpg

:happy1: Temps staying below 20deg without ice now

Rearranged the layout to better suit Stanley the torrent fish, noticed that he is not swimming well and has a bent spine :o I hope I didn't drop any wood/rocks on him. Google points towards constipation or fish TB. Would fish TB grow in a cold water tank?

Oh and the white spot has returned - the fish did get a bit stressed while I was away, tank hit 24deg :facepalm:, re-salted the tank and will keep it up for longer this time.

and one last thing, one of the 'inanga' is much darker and with less spots, could even be dark with light spots. It looks mostly like the other inanga but is slightly smaller and maybe not as deep :dunno:

congratulations on your temperature ;)

Weird about your torrie, not something I have come across.

Yeah, whitespot is good at hiding. The usual trick is to keep medicating for one week after the last spot falls, or two just to be extra safe.

With your odd inanga, is the head shape similar to the others? Particularly look at the overall profile, eye size and mouth length/angle/relationship to eye.

There can be a fair bit of variation amongst inanga. I had one that a native fish scientist refused to believe was an inanga! (it was, I win 8) )

Here are a few pics of the torrie, always holding himself with his tail to the right. He was still feeding ok tonight but not swimming well - tail never goes much past center body on the left side

5345256061_31bf4836d8.jpg

5345255861_636bd498f7.jpg

5345255557_f3303d8f70.jpg

And a few pics

5345255717_257b724d06.jpg

Two of the Smelt

5345865826_1544c7bf9d.jpg

one of the medium bullies

5345269025_cdbdd82ba1.jpg

one of the smaller bullies

5345269245_eee0220e4e.jpg

and one of one of the inanga

nzbeeman, on Flickr

When he swims the tail looks to go from centre to the right, almost looks like there is slight paralysis on the left side about 1/2 way along the body. He used to swim well.

In the first two weeks of there being fish in this tank I had hardly seen him, that is why I rearranged the tank to bring the filter outlet closer to the bottom (stella you were correct :oops: ).

I hope that now he is out more and getting more exercise it will improve.

What is that substrate?, it looks really good.

West coast iron sand, Raglan, and pebbles from a Pirongia mountain stream

Thanks, should have taken them tonight as I've did a 1/3 water change today so there is less tannin in the water, but the smelt* are a bit spooky tonight, always are after I do a water change.

The torrie looks mostly ok, no loss of colour, feeding, sitting in the current etc, he is just bent :-?

* if the smelt are spooky it makes the Inanga spooky as well, as they shoal together

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Sophia, sorry that I never replied to your question, have never tested pH or hardness.

An update on the tank:

Have just added a chiller to the setup :bounce:

The layout is way different now with different driftwood and much more sand, a medium grained silica from lake Arapuni mixed with the black iron sand.

Sand depth varies from about 30mm to 90-100mm

Have a 500l/h powerhead as well as the cf1200 running, and might still add a medium wavemaker

Trickle water changer installed with a partial / full syphon for overflow

6368113085_2015894111_b.jpg

Stock:

~12-14 adult inanga

common and Cran's bullies

200? Cran's bully eggs (three spawns on the same rock)

maybe a giant bully?

2 koura.

1 this year smelt

1 torrent fish

2 Giant Kokopu

and lots of algae

Nice tank :thup:

I like the piece of wood up the back in particular.

Thanks, that tall bit is quite nice, must try and get some moss to grow on it.

Where'd you get the chiller from? I am starting to look at them and they are pretty pricey!

The chiller was the one livingart wanted off buzzy (has been in the private trade section for a few weeks). Picked it up on sunday. I then went around to see Marks fish and birds etc, nice big tanks he has at naturesplace.

woo pretty!

Fabulous depth and the algae on the walls looks great ;)

again thanks. I found that if I dont clean the two sides against the walls I dont have to clean the front anywhere as often, and it looks better than the windows behind the tank.

Is that.... is that a plant?! ;)
That is golden button, not doing so well as it did last year, normally grows emersed.

How did the nesting male bully cope with the move?
He is still in this tank, you can see his cave at the bottom left of the above pic.

[Edit] Just spent the last hour or so putting the chiller and filter outside (to keep the fishroom cooler, the chiller really rased the temp in there when running) and aranging all the pipework, need to get a few 20mm 90deg bends to make the plumbing neater

• 4 weeks later...

I have just moved the tank onto a new stand on Sunday, looks much nicer than the old one. The new one even has doors :D

Had to completely strip down the tank to move it. Removed all ~50-60 l of wet iron sand, man that stuff weighs a ton, and rocks.

I have rebuilt the scape a little like in the mockups in the first post except the rise is at the other (right) end. Have added 2 x 5000 l/h wave makers and found that they lifted a lot of dross off the bottom for the CF1200 to hover up, these were added before the strip down.

The poor fish have been very stressed with spending a few hours in a rubbish bin then having to contend with a new scape and poor water conditions. I think I have killed most of the bacteria in the sand/filter with it being off for ~4 hours and a good 75% water change. I have done an about 1/3 water change yesterday and today to keep ammonia down and to help clear the silt out of the water from the disturbed sand. Looks like there is a green water algae bloom forming and a bacteria bloom in the water as well as it has gone milky - but this could be from the well turned over sand :dunno:

Really should have a test kit :facepalm:

Had one inanga die, got trapped between two rocks and the glass by the looks, and one has an infection. Had 3 of them jump out of the bin on to the floor, silly things. I have added 1/2 a kg of rock salt and will add another tomorrow to help stop any spread. There is no way I'll be able to a single inanga to treat with a salt bath, they are just too fast.

Cut the one that died open to see how much fat they are carrying from being fed a rich diet. The all look quite fat. No real fat visible, but his gonads were very enlarged and fill of milt.

Will post a pic of the new scape and stand when the water clears, if it does...

• 1 month later...
Need to up the flow... Torrent fish obviously isn't working hard enough in the current flow and is putting on beef :rotf:

No he is just a guts, could well be gravid (and a she?). <*)O>><

There is two 5000 l/h wavemakers and I'm pushing water through the filter/chiller with a 3200 l/h powerhead, so I would say that there is 12000 l/h of water movement in about 350 - 400 l of water just about enough to keep the torrents fit

• 5 months later...

Just a quick update on where this tank is at.

Bullies all look ready to spawn, and I think I had a single fry survive from last spring as I have seen a small bully on occasion.

One of the koura is in berry :happy2:

Down to 5 Inanga, all are about to enter their third year of life so not doing too badly.

Darn comet is still in there, and is getting bigger by the week. Must love all the high protein food that the natives get.

The kokopu have grown heaps, as have the torries and bullies.

The moss is growing slowly, but is looking better now that I have lifted it up towards the light and have the 3500l/h pump blasting it with water and air from a venturi.

DSCN0445.JPG