WANTED Live Salmon Eggs & Smalt

Sam Newman

urgh, water weasels!

You are unlikely to have much luck with that one. Requires some serious permits from DOC and MinFish, and $$ and suitable waterways. I seriously doubt that it could be done as a private thing.

If trout aren't there already it is likely not good trout habitat. If trout are there it will be worse habitat for the natives that are supposed to be there.

Hi. :wave: I am looking to buy some Salmon eggs and smalt to raise up. Can anyone help me please? :dunno:

Are there even any salmon in the country? There are landlocked populations all over the world that would probably work if you had the right setup, but I doubt doc would be happy with you trying to bring them in.

Thanks for the feedback. I originally wrote to Kate Wilkinson (The Minister for the Environment) asking to set up a Trout farm by our open Duck enclosure in Victoria Valley. It is a perfect environment for them but it is highly illeagle because the Government believe keeping Trout would muck up the Tourist fishing. There are wild Trout in the river but not enough to make it worth standing there with a fly rod. She suggested Salmon. There are a couple of farms in the South Island, but currently none anywhere in the North. I was hoping to just get some Salmon eggs, but Stella has kindly brought to my attention that it may be detramental to the native species in the river that are supposed to be there. I would like to learn more about that first. Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback. I originally wrote to Kate Wilkinson (The Minister for the Environment) asking to set up a Trout farm by our open Duck enclosure in Victoria Valley. It is a perfect environment for them but it is highly illeagle because the Government believe keeping Trout would muck up the Tourist fishing. There are wild Trout in the river but not enough to make it worth standing there with a fly rod. She suggested Salmon. There are a couple of farms in the South Island, but currently none anywhere in the North. I was hoping to just get some Salmon eggs, but Stella has kindly brought to my attention that it may be detramental to the native species in the river that are supposed to be there. I would like to learn more about that first. Cheers.

Wouldn't want a dangerous introduced predatory species like the salmon mucking up the dangerous introduced predatory species that they can charge money for like trout...