Water cycling

Black Sabbath

Hi everyone, I am just getting into breeding tropical fish, I'd like to know a bit more about cycling, aging water. Due to Christchurch having such pure tap water is it neccesary to sit the water before putting in the tank, I dont believe in chemicals that condition water but maybe that is something I should consider using, Basically I am trying to promt a conversation regarding tank cleaning procedures and water conditioning to get some different opinions and to see if I am on the right track, I have a guppy breeding tank ( 200 litre ) and also a 200 litre tank for swords and my female bettas, Males are kept in that same tank in breeding boxes aswell as a few other small tanks for spawning barbs and bettas. Please help me understand the aging/cycling of water better, Bearing in mind I am in chch not the USA or somewhere with high amounts of chloride in the water. Cheers

I have done the same in the past with my goldfish and axolotls and never seen any stress caused but so many people look shocked when I tell them I didn't, I have begun to and only a month after i seemed to get finrot in my guppy tank, Im hoping this is a coincidence, Am treating with methblue as has worked well in the past for whitespot on my goldfish but it seems there are a lot of differing opinions on this aswell.

Yeah ofcourse, I did not put the question to well there I admit, I think I have a full grasp on cycling and since posting have found my answer to whether throwing some goldfish in there then an old filter until ammonia drops is enough. I have had differing opinions, some saying under no circumstances can you put your intended fish in a tank in less than a month and expect it to be cycled, I would like to think the way I have done it in 2 weeks with goldfish and the old filter is sufficient

Ceramic noodles just need to be rinsed if they get really gunked up, just rinse them in some tank water when you do a water change, but don't clean them every week, and I mean really gunked up, not just a few flecks of mulm.

Up to you, but the sponges would possibly help trap some of the finer particles that are in the water column. Some of the hang on back filters have noodles and sponge, on my ones the sponge always gunks up before the noodles do.