fish happy?

kuhli loach

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

making structure out of large driftwood and river rocks, for kuhlis to hide in. This may limit swimming room for pencilfish if they are very active but i don't think the apistos wil mind.

Don't pencilfish grow to be 6cm long? if so a shoal of 7 would be a bit crowded confined in a tank my size I think :(

Dad made me a great christmas present, its a real cool wooden auquarium lid with a light! :happy2:

Pencilfish are slender and slow-moving. 7 will be fine in your tank.

What sort of light? Is it just one? I find that if it is a flourescent tube, you'll need two; one isn't nearly enough for your tank unless you plan to have very low-light plants. If I were you I'd go for two 24watt T5HO PowerGlos.

it is not a specialzed auqarium light so does not say.

I've got it positioned quite a good way up from the waterline so it will not get splashed (nor do these fish readily splash or jump as far as i know of)

If it does give off quite a bit of heat should I keep water temperature a bit lower than recommended? (while cycling tank i'll get it to the right temp)

:roll: I didn't pick my lighting but thanks for the suggestions anyway

Honestly dude, it's as easy as swapping the BULB out for a $5-$7 energy saver replacement. Go into Bunnings or Mitre10 Mega and either ask someone who knows what a Cool Daylight Energy Saver bulb is or head to their lighting section. All you'll get with an incandescent bulb is algae and a cruddy looking tank.

HTH.

cool plants!

do you know where I can get hold of cockatoo dwarf cichlids and pencils?

pets unlimited in Palmy has both golden and banded Kuhlis in stock. Online picture of banded Kuhli on the Pets Unlimited website looks a little pale and washed out, does the colour brightness vary from loach to loach or do they come into a ritcher colour when in a comfortabl;e environment?