Blowflies no good? Lay maggots in herp??

Insect Direct

Rubbish--another urban myth. It would not be very easy for a blowly to lay eggs after it had been bitten in half, or if it did the eggs would be digested. They are not the best in terms of food value but I would think they would be totally harmless other than the potential to carry diseases. I have fed blowflies, houseflies and maggots to frogs without a problem.

Hit the culprit on the head :D .

I was trying to find reference to a 'live bearing' blowfliy as someone described it just the other day, so thanks for that.

If the herp was sick to begin with, I suspect a few fly species could lay eggs, which could very well hatch in ample conditions.

Thing I like about blowflies is the size, house flies a so puny for a big frog.

Thats interesting Josh, maybe houseflies taste better, anyone know? :D

On a side note - looks like it would be easy enough to line breed stubby winged (flightless) blowflies from what Ive seen. Not sure there would be much point but its food for thought. Lazy herps would probably enjoy them.

Dusting flies with calcium would probably achieve the same result temporarily. Whether that would entice your gecko to eat them I do not know.

Thats interesting Josh, maybe houseflies taste better, anyone know? :D

On a side note - looks like it would be easy enough to line breed stubby winged (flightless) blowflies from what Ive seen. Not sure there would be much point but its food for thought. Lazy herps would probably enjoy them.

Dusting flies with calcium would probably achieve the same result temporarily. Whether that would entice your gecko to eat them I do not know.

Yeah but how can you dust a flie with calcium?

can put your fly trap in the fridge (pref not the kitchen one lol) so its easier to empty the flies out.

empty into plastic bag or container, shake flies up with a lil calcium. then pour them out over a bowl (so excess calcium doesnt go into your terrarium).

Sure there's other ways to :D

I dont bother dusting flies tbh, mainly just crickets. everything else i feed is just for variety :P

can put your fly trap in the fridge (pref not the kitchen one lol) so its easier to empty the flies out.

empty into plastic bag or container, shake flies up with a lil calcium. then pour them out over a bowl (so excess calcium doesnt go into your terrarium).

I dont bother dusting flies tbh, mainly just crickets. everything else i feed is just for variety :P

Cool that's a good way thanks for that ID

yep thats how i dusted mine too.

don't think maggots in the gust would cause any problems as it would be the same as feeding live maggots

I was asked to go to 'after hours vet' to pick up a turtle last week... very thin, dehydrated and covered in old sores. Its eyes were swollen and I was having a good look at all the scabs around its mouth...and maggots started crawling out of its mouth! :o I dont do maggots well! I handed it straight back and it was put down. The maggots were coming out of the mouth at the corners of the mouth... I think there may have been a sore in base of mouth, but I didnt look too hard ewwww :o