In need of some direction (Future Tank)

Mirio

Hey FNZAS,

As the title reads, i'm thinking of a new tank, but i'm unsure what direction i should take, with choices such as rimless over branded tanks with built in components etc.

Some factors are:

- Possible stand options if i went rimless

- I have around 92cm Length Max to work with (Height isn't really a big thing, just wanting to get the max capacity in the space given)

- What sorts of filtration i will have to use

- But the biggest of all is i that want to have the light strength to support excellent plant growth, which is i guess where i am torn.

I understand this is a broad topic so ask questions please. So yeah, i'm hoping the feedback i recieve will help me make my decision

Thanks all ~ :wink:

so your after a 3 foot tank, in that size i would go with an all in one as that will be much easier for you, buy it, place it & fill it.

If you go for a custom made one you will need to build a stand & hood, it will cost a similar price either way & the custom one will only look as good as the excellence that goes into making the stand & hood. A custom tank does give you the ability to have specific sizes, if you wanted an extra deep or tall tank then that would be easier. each method has their own advantages & disadvantages.

It has nothing to do with me selling him the tank actually. I have planted many tanks 30cm wide, I personally find them easier than wider ones, that's MY opinion. I am simply letting Ethan and anyone else reading this that 30cm wide is plenty of space to plant and aquascape.

I am not an aquascape type person and don't really do planted tanks but I agree with Phoenix on this one I don't like using narrow tanks either I find a few bigger plants or rocks just tend to dominate the tank and go too close to the front, you can make things look alot better with a big more width.

You have to look at planted tanks in terms of proportion, Narrow tanks are harder to plant, but definitely not impossible.

Usually the ratio that works out best is 2:1 or anywhere near that which is why I suggested those tank sizes.

60 x 30 x 30 is definitely in that ratio and will be fine for scaping.

You got a large tank, you do big pieces of hardscape and plants, smaller tank then you scale down and so on etc.

i guess a 30cm high & wide tank would be perfect for all plants that grow up to 29cm or less right? that would mean the lighting was more effective than a tank that had 60 or 90cm of water for the light to travel through. horses for courses :D

+1 Its easier to grow red plants in shallow tanks

Horses for courses really..... 60cm, 90cm or 120cm. At least they are standard sizes for light fixtures. :wink:

At the end of the day it's down to your personal preference, I like 60cm because water changes are sweet and I like the challenge of trying to create the illusion of depth.

Anyway Ethanyo, you will find plenty of good information and opinions here... :bounce:

If you like tweaking things and messing about to get it right then a small tank is fine - there isn't much room for things to get big and plant selection has to be quite considered. If you want to let your plants grow and do what they like, and be able to buy bigger plants, then a larger one is better.

Either way, a planted tank is nice to have :)

a link to my 50cm tank is my signature. It's had it's ups and downs but I like it. Doing a bit more tweaking and planting next week when my new crypts arrive 8)