THE INDUSTRY BEHIND THE HOBBY.

reef

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thing what Phill is alluding to is the tax gathered on horse race betting rather than the sale of horses. Race betting amounts to 1000's time's more tax income than ornamental fish imports.

Another interesting area to look at is how much the dog traveling restrictions have been reduced in recent years, I know of two lady's that regularly take their dog's on holiday to Aus, you can't tell me that a dog which could be spending it's holidays on farms in Aus then coming back here to run round farms is safer to allow free entry into the country than a fish which has been kept in a holding tanks for weeks observed by experts that likely know more about diagnosing and treating fish disease than most vets. But of course dogs are cute and fluffy so must be safe.

compliance costs have risen in most businesses for various reasons

import of live fish is a small part of everything bio security deals with

import or export of any fish or animal anywhere in the world carries a risk of introduction of diseases to countries where the native wildlife has no natural defence to a new disease

regulations are being tightened up all over the world as countries have learnt that introduced fish/animals have become major pests in environments that have evolved without them

some cycads were imported into the country only a few years ago, it was then found 3 new diseases had come in with them

regulations were changed to prevent this happening again which meant more cost which meant those management costs were passed on

really fail to see any of you points,

which other country has 3 week quarantine for marine fish,

which other country has 6 weeks quarantine for 6 weeks, soon to be 4 weeks. still the highest in the world.

So what marine/tropical fresh water fish has been introduced to NZ in the last 10 years, MAF and DOC can't help. so maybe you can share this.

I guess some won't be bothered about the costs as they plead poverty so they can get stuff for free.

Horses are checked and cleared of diseases before being sent overseas just as it is proposed that fish will be able to be cleared of certain diseases if exported from countries certified as clear of that disease.

You are missing the point here I think.

There are requirements for the quarantine of imported fish.

If you wish to import fish you will need to meet these requirements.

These requirements will cost money and in a user pays society you will pay.

If you don't like the requirements for importing fish why don't you import something else that does not require quarantine.

Since this discussion is going around in circles and getting nowhere I no longer wish to contribute.

Awesome stuff guys, great to see you getting behind the society instead of standing outside it and poking sticks at it................

i suppose at least the society has given you a forum to allow you to poke that stick

and discuss topics like this :facepalm:

There are requirements for the quarantine of imported fish.

No kidding , tell us something new.

i suppose at least the society has given you a forum to allow you to poke that stick

That about it, it does nothing else.