Progress

blueyes

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so this is the first tank I am going to set up, this will be home to everyone in the current tank other than the Clown Loaches and the Yoyo's, so there will be GBA's & Albino BN, Peppered and Panda Cory's, Glowlight Tetra's, X-ray Tetra's and the Black Widows......want to look at adding others at some stage for a bit of colour so was considering Kribensis, but would love other suggestions too!!!!

Tank is 114Lx38Wx25H. Plants will be mainly swords and lighting is a single T8 tube, will be using Aquabasis plus and probably play sand as substrate. Filter is an Aqua One Aquis500.... so this will be my first really real grown up tank :bounce:

SDC11558.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like the planting and the wood positioning, lots of hidey holes that the fish will appreciate.

Did you end up killing the algae on the riccia or just lobbed it in as is? I started with a riccia rock but I couldn't wait long enough for it to grow hehe :roll:

I would fill it up - all the way. There is no need to keep it almost half empty :lol:

That sword will get large so you might want it further away from the sides. Also i suspect your J pipe is around the wrong way o.O

Looks good so far.. needs more plants and you should be good to go.

maybe remove some of the sand? - It's not something I have had to say before; usually it's the other way around. :o

Disaster, well not exactly disaster, but sucks all the same, a couple of the fish are looking pretty bad..... having a close look this morning at the tank it looks like there is some kinda fungal growth or something in there, I am assuming this may be from one of the bits of wood, so it looks like I am going to have to strip them out and take the fish out too for now.... sucky, I was really happy with the peices in there and had boiled scrubbed and cleaned everything really well..... sigh :cry:

No, I noticed theres some on the sand, kinda white definitely fungus looking and theres some clear kinda stuff on some of the wood.... but I've noticed a couple of the fish "shimmying" and having probs swimming.... the first one I noticed I thought it was just stressed because it was the last one I had to try and catch to transfer in there but I have now noticed a couple of the others going the same way. I'll try and get some photos tonight when I get home. I tested the water last night and everything seem normal there so I have put it down to something else in the water.....

Okay, i can't get a decent photo of it, but looking more closely at it now, it actually looks like its just food thats gone mouldy..... I've lost a glowlight already and some of the other smaller ones aren't doing too well..... the x-ray that was the first one I noticed sick is still going but not swimming well...... should I just get the tetra's out of there?

Yeah, I thought I would try that first.... I'll probably suck up hald the sand, but I guess thats a good way of having less sand in there as Pheonix44 suggested lol...... I'm wondering if I should add a little bit of salt in there too........

I won't suggest medication as I don't know enough - except that my tank has 1tsp of salt per litre and my female killie has various bumps from zapping around like a mad fish and she doesn't seem to get infections.

If you swirl the siphon about a bit you might be able to stir up the bottom without disturbing too much sand too.

good luck :D

I've noticed one piece of wood in particular that has some clear kinda looking "growth" on it. It's not on any of the other pieces so I am thinking I should take it out??

Everyone is still alive, other than the one glowlight that I lost yesterday.... though one of the bigger glowlights is so fat it looks like it's about to burst, but other than that it's fine and not one of the ones that seems to be affected like the others..... now I also need to decide where to put the micro sag!!!! And will have to move the christmas moss also as that is wrapped on the piece of wood thats growing stuff.... bummer, there goes my carefully planned moss arch.......

There are people about that use fish like tetra to test their water (one bought some from me :o ) - they say they know that the water quality isn't great when they start getting sick. Also are the corydoras top fins high in the air like sails when they are seeming relaxed? If their fins are more folded up and clamped then they aren't happy either.

Is the wood still in there and if so where did it come from? When I started my killie tank I thought my wood was Ok as I'd soaked it for weeks and weeks, but it was doing some weird algae-rhythms so I took it out. The fish didn't seem bothered and I was most annoyed at having to change my layout. By the sounds of yours it seems to be the most obvious thing that's big that would affect it other than the cycling. I'm not an experienced fishkeeper so since you're asking my advice I guess it's process of elimination. If I were you my first thing would be to take the wood out, do another water change and add oxygen and see if they start to look better. The plants are probably helpful and might be nicer on the stressed fish if you leave those be, floating or weighted down while they recover.

Okay, the offending (possibly) piece of wood is out.... I've rearranged everything and the micro sag is in.

I haven't put any of the corys in yet as I want to wait until it's cycled.

The wood was a piece that I picked up at the beach in Kaiaua, I have a couple of other pieces in there from there also.... all of it has been boiled twice and soaked etc, but we will see if theres any improvement now..... fingers crossed :-)

Thanks Sophia.

Oh and the riccia seems to be okay, I haven't put it in this tank yet, its still in the wee tank with the baby pandas at the moment.

Thanks Sophia..... to be honest.... I'm pretty sure everyone is looking a lot better today, so it seems it was that piece of wood, theres two mighty fat looking glowlights though.... I'm just wondering if they get fat if they are carrying eggs?

Hopefully now I will just have to worry about getting them through the cycle process without losing anyone else.....

I might just put one of the boys in, I've noticed that a lot of the food isn't getting eaten in the new tank so it's going "mouldy". I thought maybe if I put the BNs in they might help stop this happening. The tank has only been running since last Sunday though. Since taking that piece of wood out all the tetras seem to be back to normal which is really good.