Progress

blueyes

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I've moved the albino gba into the tank with his piece of driftwood (which he appears to have abondoned for a more desirable stone cave) and I'm sitting here on the laptop when I glance up at the tank and who do I happen to see but a sneaky little Clown Loach that apparently caught a lift over in the driftwood!!! Cheeky little burger..... I checked the wood too because last time I moved tanks with it there was one or two tucked up in there!!!!

Luckily it was obviously one of the more braver ones that didn't take off when it saw me so I managed to herd it into a net and put it back into the old tank........

Man I love my loaches hehe

They can sure handle some rough treatment, mine has been for a trip in a piece if driftwood to the sink, run under the cold tap whilst the driftwood got scrubbed, fallen out of the driftwood into the sink then scooped unceremoniously out of the sink, been told it is a stupid blimmin fish and carried back to it's tank and dropped back in. No worse for wear, but he is not enjoying his new tank mate - a Jordanella floridae male who is aggressively territorial.

Well it's been 2 weeks now and aside from the initial saga of the dodgy wood everyone seems happy apart from one glowlight which is in quarantine, I think he suffered a bit from the dodgy wood and seems to be having a bit of trouble coming right.....

I've got some Sera daily fert for the plants, but just wondering if I should be using this yet, I don't want anything to interfere with the cycle of the tank...... how can I tell when it has started cycling?

Thanks Sophia, I'll do them tonight.

Thanks Joefish, yeah I kinda messed up with my lighting, I have a 39w double T5HO which I was going to use for the bigger tank because its deeper than this one, but I might try it on this tank for a while.

The tank has changed a little since those pics so I should probably put up some new pics... might try tonight :)

Chihuahua, you have been instructed! :lol: :lol:

are they crypts on the left side?

the other thing you could try (since you are obviously in the mood for rearranging :o ) is to put the flat topped stone nearer the front. I find that the fish rest there and find it easy to find floating debris to sniff through so you can see more of them when it's closer. Of course it's hard to get a proper perspective from a front on shot, it might look different in person. Anyway it's still very cool 8)

P44, yes it is... I did wonder how to plant it properly, I seperated a lot of it but was worried about damaging the roots.... was also thinking about moving it more towards the back since it is so tall in my tank lol...... also yes, the thing with the wood, I was thinking of moving it more to the left after reading about the whole symmetry thing. Should I be using the Sera fert drops now?

Sophia, yes, theres some balansae on the left and another type of crypt I think. The stone has a purpose at the moment lol, its holding down a piece of wood that wouldn't sink when I put it in hehe..... I'm planning on getting some more stones eventually, theres some on TradeMe that I'm watching.......

I maxed out my Black Widows and now have 8 of them, so I think eventually I will get rid of the glowlights and x-rays which I think cliffy wants so I will only have the once school of tetra in there.......

Looks like I might be doing some more tank scaping hehe

Thanks Anthony, I'm pretty happy with it considering it is the first real setup I've done.... no doubt I will have a bit of tweaking to do here and there before I am satisfied with it...... not all the plants will be staying in it either, when I set up the Clowns tank some of them will be going in there....... I just moved the other 2 BNs over and the boys have have a big dust up already, (yes Dennis I got a video this time) I'm guessing over who wants what hidey hole, but theres plenty for places for each of them now so they should be sweet.....

I'll have a go at posting the video tonight, now that our broadband is back to regular speed, should be easy..... they kinda backed away a bit when they saw me, but didn't stop them fighting lol.... it was a major mission catching the wee girl to put her in though.... at least the boys have their regular hidey holes so I knew exactly where to find them, I had to go hunting for her, wound up picking up the whole clown loach cave and having a look under that, thought there was no one under it next thing I hear plop plop into the water..... a couple of clowns making a run for it lol...... finally caught her hanging out under the old car wreck with an SAE who wasn't too happy with me picking up his hide out..... they are all such characters.......

Nawww, thanks Joefish....... yeah, I'll fill it more when I do the next water change I think......

The substrate is just fine sand from Mitre10, in the gardening section.

Waters looking a little cloudy tonight so I am thinking maybe it is starting to cycle now :D