Spray bar layout for long/thin tank.

the-obstacle

Hi all,

Tank is 1200 long and only 250Hx250D (all in mm - just to be clear) and I'm having trouble with dead spots. At the moment I've got a spray bar off my 2224 at one end under the bracing (picture a tank built by Greg if you know them) which I cut down to fit across the top (about 200mm long after the elbow). It's creating a nice ripple/wave at the top but not really creating any major water movement.

The intake is at the other end of the tank behind a few plants.

If I look at the surface there is quite the whirlpool but in general most of the crud in the tank falls below the spray bar - ie. at the wrong end of the tank.

Can anybody give me any suggestions for better layouts? I have plants along the back of the tank and at the intake end if that helps with ideas. I'm thinking I'll go and get the eheim installation kits for intake/output but I still some ideas on how to set up the water flow. I was thinking of trying to get a spray bar the entire length of the back wall but this may be overkill and the pump might not be up to it.

Appreciate any suggestions/help on this one.

I have seen people use a Tunze Nanostream to get more flow in a freshwater tank, they are 4500lph IIRC, with your tank length it should not cause a 'votex of doom' as the flow is diffused. I have a 6025 in a 108l marine tank that gives a good circulation of water and the inhabitants are not plastered to the opposite end of the tank.

Not cheap, though.