October 27, 201015 yr comment_401630 Finally, action of the R18 variety on the leopard gecko front. The male vibrates his tail like the rattle of a rattlesnake, she crouches and he tries to mount. Shes a lot bigger than he is. He is not very good at it as its his first. Now just got to wait for results. Report
October 27, 201015 yr comment_401703 R16 to participate, R18 to watch :lol: congrats, i hope they are successful. Report
October 28, 201015 yr Author comment_401778 R16 to participate, R18 to watch :lol: So its okay to do it as long as you are not looking Report
November 26, 201015 yr Author comment_407377 Stage 2 complete, 2 eggs today. Now for the tricky one, getting them to hatch. Hopefully they are fertile Report
November 26, 201015 yr comment_407405 Stage 2 complete, 2 eggs today. Now for the tricky one, getting them to hatch. Hopefully they are fertile :bounce: Congrats!!! Report
November 27, 201015 yr Author comment_407485 Just a shame that the incubator I have been trying to get has never eventuated. Have been told it was a better brand than the reptile one on trademe, I am now told that it may be available early in the new year, so the reeves eggs have had to be floated in a tank, so that the leopard gecko eggs can go in the old hovabator. Sigh. Report
November 27, 201015 yr comment_407491 What temperature are you incubating each at and will that hopefully give you male or female? Could you have put both in the one incubator? Report
November 27, 201015 yr Author comment_407512 What temperature are you incubating each at and will that hopefully give you male or female? Could you have put both in the one incubator? 90 degrees F In the hope of producing males. Too warm for the Reeves eggs. Hovobator ok but not as accurate with temperature and humidity. And the difficulty others have had at breeding males, I was wanting something more accurate. I am also new at incubating eggs. Last time (first atempt) had no luck with a Reeves egg. And as I now have a range of reptiles I thought I could justify something more hi-tech, and I will need 1 or 2 more incubators. :roll: Report
November 27, 201015 yr comment_407514 nothing wrong with `the old hovabator`? a lot of things have come out of an old hovobator are you making up your own studbook doug? Report
November 27, 201015 yr comment_407536 could get a decent thermostat, convert fridge, add fan and ya set for many a clutch or cooling thermostat, + heating thermostat, reasonable fridge (glass doors looks the part), wire up thermostats, maybe add fan. hey presto bigger better version of those cooling incubators on the market otherwise homobators are ok. probably make something similar easy enough, aint much to em humidy in containers is important, not so much in the incubator (depending on your method slightly i suppose) grats on the eggs Report
November 28, 201015 yr Author comment_407613 Definitely. I have taken photos of each of the lizards, and should be able to identify by markings. I plan to get in touch with tbe breeders I got them from and see if they can add to the family tree. I could colony breed (keep male and females all together to make life easier but then I would not be able to identify which is the mother. Report
November 28, 201015 yr Author comment_407615 could get a decent thermostat, convert fridge, add fan and ya set for many a clutch or cooling thermostat, + heating thermostat, reasonable fridge (glass doors looks the part), wire up thermostats, maybe add fan. hey presto bigger better version of those cooling incubators on the market otherwise homobators are ok. probably make something similar easy enough, aint much to em humidy in containers is important, not so much in the incubator (depending on your method slightly i suppose) grats on the eggs Not sure about homobators would prefer my lizards to come out heteros Report
November 28, 201015 yr comment_407646 Hey Doug. It's not impossible to keep track of the mother when breeding in a colony if you keep a close eye on them. First of all you will notice which one is digging and secondly you can see the eggs through the belly. If you check their bellies frequently you will know which ones are gravid and if you do miss the digging and laying you can check the bellies to see who's eggs are gone. Also the gravid female that is close to laying will stop eating in most cases. They also tend to shed before laying. Hope that helps Report
November 29, 201015 yr Author comment_407777 I understand that, should have seen the mess she made rearanging the vermiculite in her house, all up the walls and what she kicked out the door :lol:. It is just my preference at least at this stage. Report
November 29, 201015 yr comment_407785 Yeah it does make it much easier to have them seperate. Keeps us updated on the eggs Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.