Easy water changes

Joshlikesfish

Hard to tell how that one works, looks like there is a drain positioned towards the bottom of the tank which you would open a valve and drain some water out with, then looks like freshwater is plumbed into each tank.

I setup an overflow type system on a bunch of tanks before I moved that worked quite well and did it on the cheap I drilled 15mm holes in each tank, siliconed 13mm elbows into each tank had 13mm tubing running down to a 19mm drain line I run these at the surface of the water as overflows. Then just run 13mm irrigation tubing to airline into each tank, just turn on the hose and overflow each tank for 10mins or so and your water change is done.

Hard to tell how that one works, looks like there is a drain positioned towards the bottom of the tank which you would open a valve and drain some water out with, then looks like freshwater is plumbed into each tank.

I setup an overflow type system on a bunch of tanks before I moved that worked quite well and did it on the cheap I drilled 15mm holes in each tank, siliconed 13mm elbows into each tank had 13mm tubing running down to a 19mm drain line I run these at the surface of the water as overflows. Then just run 13mm irrigation tubing to airline into each tank, just turn on the hose and overflow each tank for 10mins or so and your water change is done.

Is drilling hard to do?

Sounds like a good idea

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =327111362

Looking at the auction I was wondering if anyone had made that system before?

How does it work?

Is it expensive to set up?

By the way, it will be use on all my grow out tanks

:o:o Did anyone else see how much that went for! You could build it new for less than that lol

Josh I will put up some pics of my setup at some stage and explain how it all works, I have 19 tanks drilled and plumbed now.

yea that was alot of money for it, and i still dont get how the overflow thing worked, looked like the water had to go up the tube (higher than the side of the tank) to flow down the pipes, unless there was something else that was hidden....

ps ryan come get your fish!

ryan thinks its easy, i personally havnt done it.

but what i understand is that it takes a long time to drill each hole and you have to be patient, i would drill breeding tanks myself but for display and larger tanks and holes ild get the pros.

Is drilling the tanks hard?

I have found it easy, even drilled some tanks with fish in them just lowered the water level. I have only drilled 5/6mm tanks and only drilled small holes (15ishmm) for breeding tanks, like Diver has suggested if it was for an expensive tank or a display tank where it had to be a perfect hole in the right place I would pay someone to do it, but for breeding tanks it is all good :)

im gonna have overflows and have it so i point the garden hose at the tank for a few seconds when i want to change the water but ive seen ryans one and i think that he has it like a garden irrigation system, turn the tap on, walk away for a few minutes and come back turn the tap off

I was going to do it with taps but the major issue for me was I wanted the filling to be automated so that I couldn't overflow the tanks, this would mean drilling 2 holes one for the drain (with the tap) and one for the overflow to ensure the water didn't overflow. The way I have it I can leave the water slowly overflowing for like 10-15mins a day and do a 10% water change every day if I want to, this means there is only ever a small change so I don't need to worry about shock to the fish or anything like that.

you can get automatic timers for hoses, just like the timers we use on lights. There are a couple on trademe at the moment for $45 and $60, but places like Bunnings would have them too.

Saves forgetting to turn off the hose and doing a 1000% waterchange and losing all the fish like I did :oops:

man, that plus your overflow setup would make life SO SWEET 8) 8) 8)

Yeah drippers work well, the only reason I went the way I went was because I already had the stuff to go that way and it means that I can keep an eye on things when I turn it on.

Stella I have one of those timers already :) Just need to modify it so I can just set it for 15-20mins straight away rather than set it to run at certain time delays ie the smallest time I can do is an hour delay again I want to set it to run so I can do things in the fishroom while my water changes are happening and keep an eye on things in case an overflow blocks or something else goes wrong.