My Bettas got it on! Umm, what now?!

Popsicool

You might remember my from my post about Bentley the potential fin rot victim. Well if you check out that post, he is fine! It was just his curiosity that's getting him in trouble.

I'll preface this story by saying I've only had a Betta (or any kind of fish at all!) for 2-3 months.

Anyway, on Saturday I was in HFF and I "accidentally" bought a Betta girl. Not sure what I was thinking, not like I had a spare tank for her or anything but you do the strangest things when your relationship is falling apart. So, I popped her into Bentley's tank into a separate plastic breeding trap thing and I couldn't believe the interest they were both showing in each other!! The following morning I woke up to find a massive bubble nest in the corner of his tank so I figured something needs to be done.

Back to HFF, picked up a 30l simple glass tank and a heater, set them up (her in her little floating plastic tank, him free to swim around). Even had to go to Foodtown to get a polystyrene cup! Sheesh! :roll:

He was very slow blowing bubbles so I figured he was a bit depressed about his first one being destroyed but when I woke up in the morning, woe and behold, bubbles galore!! Was very exciting. I syphoned all the grit from the bottom (mostly her poo, geez that girl poos a lot!) and let them at it. First hour it was just dancing and teasing. Then they started embracing but there were no eggs! I was freaking out that he was too small or she didn't have eggs (even though she was displaying vertical stripes and her little white egg tube was poking out). I was googling the no egg issue when all of a sudden, an egg fell down! It was a slow start, one or two eggs per embrace but I thought they're newbies and would get better. But then I realised there was 10 eggs on the ground, nobody was picking them up!! He wasn't popping them up in the bubble nest and she wasn't either (but nor she was eating them which was nice). So started googling about male not picking up eggs. Half an hour later, he finally caught onto it!!!

I was as proud as a mother would be :)

So they went at it for another hour, now getting around 10 eggs with each embrace and all nicely tucked up into the bubble nest. After a while it looked like they had enough. I was waiting for him to attack her but he wouldn't. They were just kind of hanging out! She'd even help him pick up a few eggs. After about half an hour of them not going for it again and not wanting to tear each other's heads of either, I took her out. She was in excellent shape, wasn't ripped or sad looking..

Anyway, final chapter of the story (apologies for the novel), Bentley is now very conscientiously looking after the eggies. The thing is, I'm not toooo certain what to do from here so I have a few questions.

1. Obviously when the fry start free swimming (around day 3) I will need to start feeding them. Is Microworms the best option? Can someone recommend where to get them from? There is a man named Greg from Mangere on Trademe - is that a good option?

2. I currently don't have a filter/pump in the spawning tank. Do I need one and what should I get?

3. I'm planning on changing the water at least twice a day (by carefully syphoning waste from the bottom, making sure I don't catch any of the little guys!). Is that enough/ok/too much?

4. How long do I keep feeding them microworms and what then??

Like I said, this all happened in a 30l tank - will that be enough for the fry to grow and for how long?

Help help help please!!! A serious newbie fish keeper here but I just got very very lucky! :bounce:

Any advice or tips is appreciated. Once I've downloaded photos from my phone and camera, I'll give you a peak.

Thank you all in advance! :hail:

I will give you some microworms. Pm me and i'll give you my address. While you are over you can see my fighter set up.

I have fed microworms for 2-3 months and still sometimes feed them to my 3month old babies. Microworm's can be fed at around 3 days after hatching, that should be when they are free swimming

As for filters, when the fry are two weeks free swimming(can swim horizontally), run an air pump slowly in the tank.

I had a big syringe with air line tubing attached to suck up waste. Slowly add more water till it reaches the top of the tank. Don't stress about removing and replacing any water yet.

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/catv ... ?catid=856

I found that website very helpful

HTH, Remember to PM me about the worms

I will give you some microworms. Pm me and i'll give you my address. While you are over you can see my fighter set up.

I have fed microworms for 2-3 months and still sometimes feed them to my 3month old babies. Microworm's can be fed at around 3 days after hatching, that should be when they are free swimming

As for filters, when the fry are two weeks free swimming(can swim horizontally), run an air pump slowly in the tank.

I had a big syringe with air line tubing attached to suck up waste. Slowly add more water till it reaches the top of the tank. Don't stress about removing and replacing any water yet.

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/catv ... ?catid=856

I found that website very helpful

HTH, Remember to PM me about the worms

Thank you Josh!!! I love Betty Splendens, I'm friends with her on Facebook, she has some amazing photos up...

PMing you now! :D

Just a few photos as promised...

Here's my stud, Bentley. He's a black-ish head blue body, blue fins with peeks of pink - veil tail I think? Nothing fancy but he's my first fish and my little baby.

IMG_1612-1.jpg

Here is the little miss, a very impulse buy while picking up a Cory from HFF on Saturday. No idea what sort she is, would appreciate some help identifying her. She's has red fins with copper/reddish body.

IMG_1739-1.jpg

IMG_1731-1.jpg

This is the set-up of their LOVE SHACK!

IMG_1728-1.jpg

The "deed" happened around 11am-12pm yesterday (Monday) morning, and here my darling boy dutifully guarding his little nest:

IMG_1782-1.jpg

I keep checking for little wriggling tails but nothing yet. You can be sure there will be a continuation in photographs as we progress.

Thank you for looking :D

Thank you brad3d, glad you enjoyed it.

NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH!!!

This morning I went to check on my babies and at 7:30 there was still nothing.

I checked again just now (10:30) and we have wiggly tails and little black body/heads!!! Only about 10 that I can see but I think they're still hatching. The photos turned out atrocious so I won't bother posting - yet! :P

THe panic is kicking in...

Thank you Caryl! Their 30l glass aquarium is covered with two pieces of glass with a small gap for heater cable and to attach the lamp.

The main things I'm worried about now are: pump and water.

Some say you NEED a pump, some say you mustn't introduce one until two weeks of age.

Same with water, some say 50% change every day, some say don't touch it for two weeks!!

Also, can someone help me with this please - the water changes should be done with aged water. How does one age water?? Is making sure it's the same temperature and adding Stress Coat and Stress Zyme enough??

Update... It's been 48 hours since the eggs hatched but a whole bunch (around 30 or so) of the little guys have left the bubble nest and are "swimming" around the tank! A lot of them are mostly just floating on top of the water (horizontally) and zipping around on the surface every once in a while, a lot are using the tank walls to help them get around but a few are actually SWIMMING!

Does this mean they are "free swimming" or are they just stupid ones that will die because they left the bubble nest too early?

And if they are actually free swimming already, should I start feeding them? But how does one do that since they are on the surface and microworms will fall and wriggle on the bottom of the tank!

All the ones that are still in the bubble nest are no longer hanging with their tails down but are also horizontal.

What's going on? They are not following the plan! What do I do?

thats right - they hatch at different rates i.e. some will hatch at 24hrs, some up to 72hrs and the ones that have left are now free swimming. A few microworms would help keep them alive as would the addition of liquifry for egg layers or even just green water.

They are following the plan - just perfectly! :D

Thank you Adrienne. I went with my gut feeling and removed the father a couple of hours ago. He didn't seem to be looking after them anymore and there were only about 10 or so left in the bubble nest and their tails weren't hanging down. Also, I think he was starting to eat them....

So now my problem is - I've put the microworms in there but the microworms are at the bottom of the tank and the fry are on the surface of the water. How will they catch on that they need to go to the bottom for food?

Or am I doing something wrong here. Maybe my fry are actually dying? But they're swimming! Argh, confused!

your fry will be fine and the microworms will live for a day at least in the tank. Only give a minute amount at the start. Liquifry you can buy from the lfs and green water you can do yourself. Either use pondwater if you have it or put a lettuce leaf in boiling water in a container and leave in the sun for a day or so. Then put a little into the tank each day and they will eat the infusoria out of the water as well.

Good idea to move the dad, he most likely wasn't eating them and there will be more than you can see.

• 2 weeks later...
Congratulations on your new spawn! - I've just started my first spawn too, mine are almost two weeks old now but still quite small. Hope everything goes well for you :-)

Thank you Katrina! Mine will be two weeks tomorrow and they are looking great. I've loved watching them grow. Today I observed them "catching" their nematodes, chewing them (their little mouths moving!), and I even got to see a fish yawn and a poo. It probably all sounds very silly but it's amazing to watch them growing up from nothing to almost fish!

What about yours? What fish did you breed and how are the babies doing?

Here is a photo update of my two-week-old-tomorrow babies..

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I love taking photos of them, they are fascinating. :)

Here is a new one, you can see how the fins have developed, it's amazing.

150369_460314573644_708103644_5835916_1668414_n.jpg

I have a huge problem though... they're dying. They are 4 weeks old tomorrow and I wasn't worried when nature was doing its selection in the beginning but is it normal that they are still dying?? I noticed a week ago, every couple of days there would be a decomposing little body on the bottom, a couple had a red dot on their head. I Googled and apparently it's a bacterial infection so I did a 95% water change, added just a touch of Wunder Tonic and the 15 of them seemed happy for a few days. Now a couple of days ago again. This morning another one! I'm down to 13. :(

I noticed sometimes one of them hangs around on the bottom (well, they mostly all do), looking like he's breathing heavily and sometimes swimming around with its mouth wide open, not closing it. It looks weird, is it a hint that something's not right?

I clean their tank every day, sometimes just suck up the stuff from the bottom but most days at least 10-20% water change. They seem really active and happy, love hunting their little microworms - until I find them just lying on the bottom of the tank decomposing!!

Help - any idea what's happening and what I can do??

I read that possibly the microworms could be introducing harmful bacteria into the water. So since they're 4 weeks tomorrow, this morning I finely grated some frozen bloodworms to see if they'll have those instead. They don't seem interested, a few have even swum through them and didn't have a chomp. Is it too early to try bloodworms and if not, is there a special way to make them interested?

Sorry for another novel of a post, I don't want to lose my babies. Thank you in advance.