FINALLY I get my tank

dan_from_nz

Good old freight companys (I wont mention which one) Broke the top of my new 4 foot bow front. Normally this would upset I hate filling out their claim forms but it now offers me the opportunaty to start my marine tank

image is here

edited link: cees

I thought I would start this thread so I can post updates and ask questions as I go (and there will be alot of them)

image is here

edited link: cees

My plans are to cut the whole top off and re-silicone two 100mm wide braces so there will be three equally spaced (distance in between) oppenings (this means there will be more pressure on the centre gap is this ok?)

The tank dimensions are as follows 1220mm (wide) x 350mm (out) x 510mm (high) (this is the main box section) the curve then comes out 550mm (so another 200mm) I guess the volume is about 300L all up.

I have brought 1 x 25kg sack of coral rock Is this enough or do you think i will need more?

The rock looks quite dirty with black stuff through it should I waterblast the rock down or boil it in water before I put it into a tank?

I guess I also need some rock too seed this rock is anyone between hamilton and wellington interested in selling me some of their rock (or swapping or letting me put my rock in their tank whatever is best)

I have on order 1x 700mm arcadia slimline digital 400w mh light. this however doesn't arrive untill febuary or march as it is on indent. I guess 1 400w watt light would be very stressfull turning on and off but have blown most of my lighting budget on this one light. does anyone know where I can get maybe 4 2 foot pc's or t5's (two on each side of the tank running from front to back. or any other alternative ideas would be appreciated

I have ordered a berlin 1000 hang on protine skimmer but this is also on indent has anyone had any experience with these or knows weather they are good or not?

I am unsure exactly what I want to keep in the tank I will start with an anemone and some clowns and decide from there will probably try and get 2 or 3 different coloured mushrooms and have them at the bottom of the tank.

I am also unsure weather I go bare bottom or get a base as I understand most people go for a sand bed now is there much difference in sand beds ie coral sand crushed coral rock etc will any soft corals grow on a bare bottom or substrate?

and the final question for now I don't realy have room to run a sump as I am welding up a rack that has a tank below it the only other option would be to go through a wall and around the staircase what is recommended is it really worth all the trouble?

Dan Berlin skimmers are not highly regarded.

You say your order is on indent, to be honest I don't know what that means, but if it means you can stop the order, in my own personal opinion I'd do that and get something like a Deltec.

Seeding rock? Not nessecary, it will seed itself there is plenty of bacteria floating around. However if you could get some already cured rock it certainly would not hurt any.

And sand or bare bottom. This is still the subject of much debate, however there is little doubt that it is easier to keep the tank clean if it is bare bottom. However some people prefer sand for aesthetic reasons, if you do go with sand, aragonite is best as it is the most in harmony with the PH and other values you will be wanting to keep your water at. Also considerably cheaper than coral sand. Some of the livestock you may wish to keep will prefer sand, so this is something you may wish to consider. One possibilty is to start the tank bare bottom, and if you find this is not to your liking, it is a simple matter to add a thin layer of sand at a later date.

I have decided that 300l with 400w of lighting (plus fluros) may cause to much heat fluctuation so I have decided to have a sump (well sort of) because I have an open steel frame as a stand and a stair case through the wall I dont really have room for a sump. What I have decided to do is with the 2nd bow front tank that is sitting on the stand below rather than add large gold fish I have decided to make this the fish tank and the top tank the reef tank with only a few fish in so effectively I will have 2 300 liter display tanks rather than just the one. The fish tank will just be lit with no fluros (4 x 4ft)

Does anyone have any advice on doing this or any information?

also for the fish tank can I add some macro algea so the tank still looks natural and to absorb nutrients?

i have about 130-150kg or thereabouts of coral rock for my 5 footer (1/3 is in the refugium). i would suggest that 25kg isnt enough - perhaps 40-50kg would be a better amount for that size tank. remember the more rock the better the biological filtration!

I have ordered another 50 kg bringing the total to 75 kg this is still on the low side isnt it?

Dan Berlin skimmers are not highly regarded.

You say your order is on indent, to be honest I don't know what that means, but if it means you can stop the order, in my own personal opinion I'd do that and get something like a Deltec.

Seeding rock? Not nessecary, it will seed itself there is plenty of bacteria floating around. However if you could get some already cured rock it certainly would not hurt any.

And sand or bare bottom. This is still the subject of much debate, however there is little doubt that it is easier to keep the tank clean if it is bare bottom.

Yeah I will probably regret not getting a deltec I didn't even get a price I just assumed they would be way to deer as I am trying to do this on a budget, Reef if you read this could you pm the rough ball park figure of a hang on deltec (for a 600L tank)

I know the bacteria and all will generate itself but what about coraline algea and the other stuff that is normally on live rock?

I think I will now have sand in the reef tank and bare bottom in the fish tank (no doubt I will probably change all of this when I read your replys and advice)

Thanks for everyones help so far

Well I have decided to upsize now, I decided to build a higher rack and have three tanks

newtanks.jpg

The top two tanks are going to be bow fronts (one still waiting to be repaired)

and the bottom one is going to be a 4 foot tank.

newtanks2.jpg

I plan on having the top tank (not pictured above) as a reef tank with only a few fish in it. I have no idea what I am going to put in it at the moment but after reading an article in 'marine world' about anemones saying you shouldn't add one for 9 months after setting up a tank I have come to the conclusion that things are going to move ALOT slower than expected. for circulation I am going to get a price for the tunez wave maker(but I antisipate this being way to deer) and will probably look at the price of the tunez recirculation pump also.

The middle tank will be a fowlr system and maybe some corals that don't require intense lighting (on this tank I only plan on having 4 to 6 n.o. 4 foot fluros) this will have a few fish but will still be stocked relatively lightley.

The bottom tank will be a refuge / macro algea system and am really unsure about what I am doing there. this wil be on opposite lighting to the other tanks (I think this is normally what peple do to buffer ph isn't it?) and will probably have a low powered light (150w mh I am thinking)

I will now be running 2 skimmers (as I have already brought one and then found out it was not good enough) running off the back of my reef tank and into the fowlr tank will be my berlin hang on skimmer and then in my refuge will be a deltec (probably an ap600 depending on price)

The next steps are to silicon baffels into the refuge (will look on reef central to see how most people do this) and drill the holes in the tanks while the frame is away getting powdercoated. I want to buy a diamond tip hole saw drill bit but can't seem to find any at hardware stores, does anyone know where to buy these. I dont want to use a die grinder or dremel as I think with a few other tanks I am setting up I have enough to justify the expence of buying the correct bit

Dan. Are you sure that stand is going to be strong enough to hold all that weight? Is there a 3rd tank? That looks to be quite heavy. Are you putting down planks or something under the tanks to hole the weight?

Pie

yeah there will be a third tank, and wooden bases under all the tanks, I am confident the stand is rather strong I estimate about 800 liters of water but think the steel will hold that easily. It is all going to be tested empty first (just filled with fresh water) before I go any further

Just a little concern, you're probably going to want a lot more space above the tanks than it looks like you've got there. Looks like only a few inches. You'll never get anything bigger into the tanks than small fish, let alone good sized pieces of liverock. And witht he sump you'll need even more height for any kind of skimmer to remove the skimmer or it's collection cup. My sump has about 260mm/ 10 inches of space above it and that's still cramped

damn I didn't think about that, the top of the top tank is open and the middle tank doesn't matter but I forgot about the skimmer, I might have to get a hang-on deltec for that also, unless I drop the bottom tank down to the ground that would give me 260mm, although this is still a concern as the rocks I have recieved so far have all been very large

Maybe, if you have room, you could get a stand made up that would put the two bowfronts side by side. That way you can have them raised up so their bottoms are maybe 800 or so from the ground and you'll have HEAPS of space under them. Be kinda interesting,a double bowfront look.:)

that could be a good idea, I have more steel on order and could also go to 2 4foot sumps/refuges a total of 1000l of water,

I might check what I have on order I think it is 40mmx40mm steel not 25mmx25mm but that would be alot stronger and might still look nice

The hang on deltecs are far to small to keep up with a system of 800l, you are going to have to modify your sump to fit a larger in sump model. I think what pies was getting at is the stand may be able to hold the weight of the tanks but it will be very top heavy and could topple quite easily.

Just a suggestion-- Why not use the stand you have for the sump and refuge and build another for the main tank its self. That way the sump can be hidden out of sight if need be, leaving just the display tank.

The problem is there is a staircase on the other side of the wall to wheere the tank is going so I can't run plumbing anywhere

As Ira sugested I am going to change the tank setup so I have 2 bowfronts side by side the bottom being 900 off the ground (is this too high for reaching into the tank?) and the sumps at the bottom so there will be about 350mm-400mm clearence.

total system will be 1000l now (but only 300 of reef) and will have the berlin I have purchased and a deltec ap600 or apf600 or ap850 depending on what price they are

Thanks for everyones advice so far