Anyone know about NZ native birds??

I was sitting outside in the spa last night at about 11pm (I live in Wellington suburbia) and heard two birds calling to each other which were definitely not moreporks. I listened for a while and came inside and looked up some bird calls on NZbirds.com and I can only conclude that these birds were Little Spotted Kiwi. DoC assures me that this is not possible as there are none outside the Karori Sanctuary in the Wellington Region. I am about a ten minute drive from the Sanctuary but Tinakori Hill stands between me and the Sanctuary so I don't believe for a second I was hearing these from there. What other native or non-native birds do we have in New Zealand which would call at that time of night? There was another sort of a yip yip yip noise afterwards too, (which freaked me out and sent me running inside!) but these were all definitely bird calls I am certain of it.

Any clues?

Your wonderfully detailed description of their call was very helpful in narrowing the possibilities down. :lol:

As for birds that would be calling about that time the first handful that come to mind are moreporks, tuis, woodpigeons, those black birds(I don't know their names), magpies, peacocks and frogs. Tuis and I think magpies are very good parrots too.

Your wonderfully detailed description of their call was very helpful in narrowing the possibilities down. :lol:

What didn't you like my yip yip yip? I guess it could have been a chihuahua.

The main calls I heard sounded EXACTLY like this (click on the bird call link on the right)

http://www.nzbirds.com/birds/kiwils.html

Hi TTK

It is possible you were hearing frogs?

Was it a regular call? If not it may be a daytime bird being startled by a rat or possum etc, just a thought.

Maybe contact DOC and mention that you heard it. They may be interested or may be able to tell you what it was.

What didn't you like my yip yip yip? I guess it could have been a chihuahua.

The main calls I heard sounded EXACTLY like this (click on the bird call link on the right)

http://www.nzbirds.com/birds/kiwils.html

I think, from your description, you have these...

yipyip.jpg

I think there's a frog that sounds a lot like that kiwi recording, and a few other birds.

Its the right time of year for frogs to become more vocal.

Off topic but I found one at the beach the other night. I dunno how the hell it got there but it was in the sand where the only nearby water was the river mouth which is brackish. Im stumped. I tried to catch it but I was too slow. Was a Southern Bell.

If you wanna talk to the kiwi lady here at DoC in Welly, then PM with a number she can call you on and I'll forward it to her :)

I have listened to the frogs and the kiwi call and I swear swear swear it was a kiwi. I shall put it out of my head and get on with my life. Sigh.

We had a nest of blackbirds in our eaves once and the baby birds calling to the mother sounded just like this. I would think that many baby birds could sound like this.... penguins? :lol:

I would think there would be too many dogs and cats around in wgtn to get kiwi :(