Saltwater - DIY Skimmer

suphew

Not planning on building one at the moment but was reading some posts the other day and people were talking about making skimmer chambers square and out of perspex. It occured to me that if you can make them square then why not out of glass? This then leads to lots of other interesting ideas like, instead of putting the skimmer in a sump why not make it as part of the sump? i.e. seal off one end, add some holes and a pump. What about turning an old tank on its end and using that? Cheap huge skimmer!

It proberly no better than using perspex but for people used to working with glass might be alot easier.

Is there any difference in the time it takes for the bubbles to get to the surface (i think it is called diffusion time?) between a square skimmer and a round skimmer, you may find a round skimmer works better because of the even curve

Just a possable dissadvantage, you could still diy a round skimmer.

Also new plasti glues contain cloraform (spelling?) which melts the plastic slightly and gives a rough edge for the glue to set to, makes working with plastic quite easy now (once you get used to it)

Mine similar to the reeflife or lifereef skimmer(i think thats what they are called).It has a 50mm pipe inside the 100mm main outside tube.The 50mm pipe is to one side of outer tube.The inlet pipe goes down inside the 50mm pipe from the top(as in the pic).The bubbles have to go to the top of the 50mm pipe which is about 70mm from water level.It seems to create volcanic eruption of foam.The return pipe is down the bottom next to the 50mm pipe.In the pic you can see the return pipe go around a plastic fitting.That fitting holds the 50mm pipe in.It has a tap to control the inlet and out let flow.I am going to get a venturi of jetskisteve soon which should make it rip.