Low Ph and added another question about specks on driftwood

mcrudd

I had a fishy die today, it was my longfin zebra danio (only one left of six that I had) this one deffinetly died of dropsy, he looked like a little puffer fish it was so bad. I tested my water and had a lower ph than usual. My ph is usually 7.0 exactly but today it was 6.6. Could that have caused his death. I added two more bogwood which probably caused this. I will remove my bigger one and leave the two smaller ones in there. Hopefully it will go up again naturally, I want to try and avoid using the ph up. Am I doing right or could you rather suggest something else for me.

Your fish died because of dropsy, not a pH swing :D

There is nothing wrong with pH 6.6; it in fact is a lot better than pH 7.

Should I leave it at that then?

Yeah poor little guy looked bad. So you think he must have just died of age, he was about two years old and goodness knows how old he was when I got him. He was the same size now as when I got him.

edited to add

While I am on here, I wonder if you would know what is wrong with my biggest bogwood, had it for about three years now and it looks like it has tiny little flecks of white powder on it? My husband said its probably my noodles that needs replacing but they are only about six months old now. That brings me to another question how often should I replace them?

Sand???

If it was out of the tank, then its a mixture of the crust peeling/contracting, dust and all those other things floating in the air. My driftwood looked like that for a while.

I don't have sand in my tank, only black midnight fine gravel. I think it could be the peeling thing, I will go and buy a good scrub brush from hammer hardware and scrub it down under running water and see how it goes. I need to do a waterchange today anyways so can just as well do a thorough clean. How often do you replace noodles?

That is what I thought Ira and Sam, so its not that breaking down then, Aw well, I bought some scrubbing brushes and now I will take them out and scrub then under running water and see what happens. Might just give them a good old boil afterwards as well :wink:

I scrubbed the living daylights out of it and its busy boiling now. I added a little bit of the tonic salt as well. There did come a lot of wood off it while scrubbing, so it might have been that the crust was peeling. Lets hope so, I have two very angry choccies swimming around looking for their hidey holes LOL.

Wood can often 'absorb' sand or silt if it has been sitting dead in that sort of environment for a while, then it slowly comes out when you put it in your tank.

A piece of wood in my tank slowly 'grows' little pockets of silt where it is migrating out.

Thanks alanmin, I feel much better now. :wink:

Stella I think you might be right, it was a big mess while scrubbing and I really scubbed very hard. I will keep an eye on it and just keep scrubbing everytime it gets like that, strange things seem to happen in my tank these days LOL