Thinking of keeping chickens

carznkats

I think I will get 6 rhode island reds, so that hopefully I will get at least 3 hens. There don't appear to be many orphingtons down here except for fertile eggs which I am not ready for yet. If i do end up getting roosters they will end up in my oven (yum yum).

Will get Jennifer to teach me how to clip their wings so that they don't escape :)

I have a couple of pekins and a partridge wyandott, and they lay quite well. The yolks of the eggs are bright yellow, and are great in baking.

You don't need to clip their wings; it is pointless, and they'll still find a way to escape if that's what they want to do. They are very clever creatures.

Ours have a small run that they sleep and lay in. It has a door that we leave open during the day, and they rome free around the property all day. We live in the middle of town, next to a very busy street, and the chooks never run out onto the road. We feed them plenty of scraps. They like worms and bugs too, which they get from the garden. They also need a bit of grit if you aren't going to let them out of their run. Ours don't need it because we have sand and fine stones lying around the house, which they peck at. You can also get them calcium and mineral cakes, but that isn't completely neccecery. Plenty of clean water is a must. We give them fresh meadow hay in their run. Wood shavings are messy, and they aren't very soft for the chooks either. The chooks come inside sometimes and steal catfood, and even pieces of meat that my mum puts on a plate for the cats when she's making dinner!

You don't need to clip their wings; it is pointless, and they'll still find a way to escape if that's what they want to do. They are very clever creatures.

i disagree, clipping one of their wings stops them from getting over fences. If the fences are good they will keep them out as long as they cannot get over them. They are clever indeed. :)

Hey...

Brown shavers are good layers. We have chickens and have got some eggs in an incubator right now :)

Also, you can easily tell if they are roosters or hens, unlike some other types which are hard to tell until the rooster start crowing.

And, if you live near a farm they will probably take any roosters you get rather than having to kill them.

Someone probably said this....sorry, I didn't read through all the posts first

We have red/brown shavers and they are excellent layers, there eggs are so big that they don't fit in the egg cartons properly. I used to have a silky bantam that never layed and a Japanese bantam which was also a good layer but layed quite small eggs. It's a good idea to invest in a large feeder and drinker so your not filling it up all the time. Ours get a mixture of pellets, wheat and bird grit as well as any vege scraps we give them. They are in a coop and run but they have enough space to still be classed as free range (I think) and we let them out most weekends.

Hi again, I can't find the podcasts on my iTunes but I found the link on the Radio NZ website. http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/thiswayup/chicken/meet_the_birds

The first page (Meet The Birds) doesn't have any audio associated with it, but the rest (from Breaking Ground onwards) do.