Rookie beardy lover looking for advice tips hints..

Captain Soup

hello all beardy lovers enthusiasts breeders experts!! firstly i would like to say :hail: hehehe

i have owned my beardy, Lazza for 9months, i got him as a baby and have been doing everything i can to keep him happy and healthy since, as you all will know its quite hard to find good advice out there, i quickly learnt that pet shops would happily have you murder your pet with their shoddy advice and over priced live insects and paraphernalia. :evil: (minus one lovely lady at animates three kings (auckland) ) so now i have come here with the hope of gaining all the necessary knowledge to give Lazza the perfect environment and life :D

my quarry at the moment is that he seems to spend 95% of his time hiding away in his den, first i thought this was his brumation cycle, as he lost his apatite, but then there are days where he will happily munch away, also if he does brumate, should i still mist him daily? or leave him be? because iv been pulling him out of his lair and misting him, then once he basks for a while i shove live food in his face, sometimes he eats, sometimes not. this has only really been happening the last 3/4 months and so again i think hes brumating, and maybe im desturbing him and therefore prolonging it??? before today i have had his heat bulb above his den as he basks ontop of it. but thinking maybe that might be adding to the problem i have moved it to the other side of his tank. was this a good idea??

so after that essay i give the floor to anyone who can shed some light... :D

Welcome Captain Soup,

I wouldnt mist him at all, as could cause respiratory problems if its not basking enough to warm up and or dry off etc. I use to mist mine, but no longer bother, they seem to drink more or sit in their water bowl more often now. and or eat more greens if less misting or water present.

As long as its not skinny I wouldnt stress if it doesnt eat, maybe just leave salad in their every other day or when its out of hiding.

I recently had a beardie brumate for 5months, never fed it during this time, not sure he even came out for a drink (as they often do) but when he did awake, he was just like the day he went in only his appetite was back like never before :D

having the heat bulb away from the den is a good idea to.

hey there insect direct

respiratory problems? that explains why he yawns alot. drat i wish i knew that earlier, i always mist him under his basking light so that he drys out rather quickly. but i will put a bowl in for him now, (i hope he figures out how to drink from it :o ) . 5MONTHS WITHOUT FOOD!!! thats crazy! i knew i wanted a lizard for a good reason!!

awesome thanks for your help.

When they decide to brumate they will only do it properly if the light period and heat is reduced. During this period they should not be fed as the temperature will not be high enough for them to digest their food so it will rot in their gut. They normally brumate over winter when the light is less and it is colder. It is a handy mechanism when there is no food around.

My thoughts would be that if it wants to brumate, is well fed and in good condition, turn the heat and lights down, stop feeding it and let it brumate properly..I don't touch mine when they are brumating. I leave a container of water so they can drink or hop in it if they wish. Mine generally don't drink from bowls.

hmm, i dont actually know if he IS brumating, i just guesed because he would sleep most of the day and refused food, but right now hes sitting ontop of his den wondering why his basking spot isnt doing the trick :roll: . he ate a couple waxmoth larve this morning, but i left it at a couple as iv heard that their too fatty for him, yet its his fave food,he trys to smash through his tank to get at em :lol:

@alanmin4304. if they dont drink out of a container do you mist them?or just let them sit in it? im confused/worried bout wat to do now.. oh and i dont i have the tech to turn down the light but i do have an old bulb ( i changed it after 6months..as suggested would that work?)

@insect direct, not "yawning" as such but chilling with his mouth open then taking in a big gulp of air, somtimes to puff himself up sometimes for no apparent reason.

hmm... so i should just turn the heat down ( and how much?? :o) and leave him alone.. iv probably been disturbng him for 3months and making his life hell... WOOOOPS :-?

oh and :hail: thanks guys

Hello Captain Soup and welcome to the forum. Beardies are so awesome aren't they. My little boy yawns, it's so cute to watch. He opens his mouth as wide as can be as he yawns, then afterwards carries on with what he was doing. Usually just sitting around and taking it easy. I always put a water dish in his enclosure but he has never ever drunken from it. I give him a mist every few days or so.

i clean water bowls (i actually use zoomed food dish's, theyre shallow so easy access for bd) then put in tank and fill up, they like the movement, that sometimes encourages them to try it out.

if the lizard is thirsty it will drink, theyre not silly, and or sit in the water bowl. i think they suck water up their vent.

misting is a thing of the past around here. they eat well so probably get alot of the water needs from the food.

as for brumating, just make sure it has a hide down the cooler end of tank. if its staying in their alot, let it be, then wind hours back to no more than 10hours a day. then drop temps once your sure its brumating. I actually turn lights off altogether after theyve been asleep for a week or so. if unsure just leave basking light on, especially if its eaten in the past week.

you dont need to encourage brumating, they will just do it when ready, your job is to let it be. :D

words of wisdom indeed!! :)

i thought i was confused before....heres whats happend in the last cple days...laz had a huge feed n lazied about, the next day i turned the heat down and lazza slept an entire day...the next day i panicked about the food rotting in his gut( read that somwhere, on here i think it was?) so i took him for a nice long bath in the sun (Pictures included) done the trick.. and intended to continue the brumating procces today. but this morning he was up before me n has been more active than usual all day.... now im thinking was it the sun that brought him bak to life? my UVB light is a reptileone 10%...reptilone isnt on hothouse turtles list of appropriate lighting :-? or was it the days rest? or am i over protective and a nutter? ...why cant my beardy just tell me what he wants!! :roll: .... lol

Im just going to let him be!! and worry and stress about the light being faulty...

SANY1430.jpg

SANY1442.jpg

or am i over protective and a nutter?

i`ll go with this one.

Meanie...

OP: Actually, you just want to do the best for your pet, so good for you.

Looks like your dragon is enjoying the bath; I find I have to keep an eye on my beardie during baths, as Izzy falls asleep mid "spa".... :roll:

Looks like your dragon is enjoying the bath; I find I have to keep an eye on my beardie during baths, as Izzy falls asleep mid "spa".... :roll:

2/3minutes under water is the record a bd set here one day.

give the beardie some credit, its not going to fall a sleep and drown :lol:

they seem to like water, but dont need swims or misting imo. ill bathe them if looking blocked up/hadnt passed a stool for over a week. thats not really the cure and or a preventative measure though, just one means of aiding the situtation if it ever comes about.

Good diet, lights, and temps. Cant go wrong :D

yea i i have seen lazz do the same thing...xcept he got the fright of a life time and swam staight for his rock and then stayed there. hes not the biggest fan of water but he did love getting misted... as for bathes my gf was very persistant and he just goes with it now..hahahahaaha. im sure she enjoys it more than him..

Lol...we must relax, makes it much more enjoyable. :D

1. the beardies have been shedding for many years unaided.

2. shouldnt be constipated, address the cause. bath only helps fix the problem until next time.

3. wont be filthy if its healthy and in a clean setup. A little poo smudge isnt going to hurt, let it be lol

trust me they drink water if they need to, theyre not as silly as they look :D

hehehehe i cant say laz has ever needed a bathe due to being dirty... i did see a bdy at animates in silverdale today that lookd like it could really use a bath.. it was relly dark coloured aswell.. then i relized it didnt have a light in its enclosure :o not too sure what was going on there..

ok ok il do my best to stop stressing over him..iv gotten this far without any problems..

out of curiostiy how often do ur beardies poo? lazz use to poo everday but now its about every cple up to 4 days.. i rekon thats alrite tho..

not sure they actually need a water bowl tbh, salad and bugs probably enough on its own. i use waterbowls for the crickets benefit to, keeps any strays happy (always a couple in a setup somewhere), especially overnight ;)

beardies do seem to benefit from it though. in the past ive noticed that if i didnt have a water bowl in their for a few days, when i do add it/top it up again theyre often straight into sipping it.

ok ok il do my best to stop stressing over him..iv gotten this far without any problems..

out of curiostiy how often do ur beardies poo? lazz use to poo everday but now its about every cple up to 4 days.. i rekon thats alrite tho..

yeah stress is a killer, no need for it :D . great you care so much though :hail:

im not sure exactly, but must be just about every day they pass a stool. every couple or 3 is probably ok, it does vary abit though, depending on growth/age what and how much your feeding etc. I dont really pay alot of attention to the smelly presents lol, but do notice if there's nothing to clean up for a week or more, thats when id start to ponder whats up.

atm mine are eating like crazy though, and seems to be every day if not every second.