Miracle Guppy survivier

mcrudd

Now before I even tell you guys what happened, I know you are gonna say things like. How stupid can she be?....Is she blind?....That is the most awful thing she did....and so on and on

But even if you all are gonna shoot me down for being outright stupid and blind, I have to share my story with you anyways.

I noticed on Friday that my chocolate zebra was out and about much more than usual, he usually loves hiding and only comes out when I feed them. So I got a bit worried that my water parameters might be causing him upset. Although I test my water weekly and also do water changes weekly, I decided to test the water anyways. So I filled the four tubes with water and carried them over to the table. I sat down and started testing. First PH, then Nitrate, then Amonia. After pouring 4 drops from bottle 1 Amonia I noticed a gray colour and its supposed to be yellow so I looked closer and Nearly freaked out :o a guppy was in there, I immidiately reacted by pouring her and the amonia out on the table (my thought was to get her out of it as fast as I could) then I scooped her up and ran with her from the dining room back to the lounge to put her in the tank. She flicked herself against the stones and looked grumpy (understandably so). I sat and watched her for a while, thinking oh my goodness I killed my beautiful fishy :-? But after about five flicks she swam and joined the others. She is still alive today, and no fear at all for me (thought she would hide if she sees me now)

I know I did a stupid mistake, and believe me I beat myself up about it too. I can't for the life of me think HOW on earth I did NOT see her, I mean really she is a guppy for heavens sake. I also wonder how she even got in there, cause I don't stick the tubes under water, I just angle them to let the water run in little bits at a time so I can get the exact amount. Anyways you guys can fight with me all you want, I have learned my lesson though. From now on I will check the tubes against the fishtank's light before walking to the table to do the testing :wink:

PS water tested fine, he is still out and about. Guess he is finally used to me and trust me to be out and about

Thats funny. Probably not so much for the fish though.

We have all done silly stuff like a fish caught half way up the sypon pipe or still in the bag 10 minutes after you thought they had been put in the tank. Bet you wont do it again :D

Well done getting her back so quick.

Thats funny. Probably not so much for the fish though.

We have all done silly stuff like a fish caught half way up the sypon pipe or still in the bag 10 minutes after you thought they had been put in the tank. Bet you wont do it again :D

Well done getting her back so quick.

Thanks Bilbo :wink: Thought I was the only stupid one to make such a silly mistake. Yep I can guarantee you I will not be making that mistake ever again :D

My tests things are too skinny for an idiot guppy to get into :lol:

I am sure you were more affected than the fish and she will now be much hardier after her experience :wink:

I think so too, I tjeck on her regularly and see is fine, but I still feel bad. My test tubes are skinny too, its those ones you get with the test. I still have no idea how she got in there. I think I did not see her, because I did not expect her to be in there. its like looking for a purse and keys the same time, you sometimes look over the one as you are busy concentrating on looking for the other one :roll:

Being that those tubes are made from glass, I don't think that guppy knew it was swimming into anything. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time...and went with the current of water :P

Who would expect a fish to be stupid enough to swim into such a small place anyway? It would never occur to me to look for fish in the tube!

lol.

hardy stock aye ;-)

one of the fry from the same batch swam into a cup when I was fishing out some water, was only a day old . Daughter wanted to have a closer look and dropped the cup - grabbed the fry and threw it back into the wrong tank with completely different water conditions.. (pH and temp different) ..it seemed ok but we left it there. That one is thriving well today and looks better than the other male that I kept.

LOL impressive! I can understand your reaction though.

Someone here (Alanmin, Jennifer?) must know what chemicals are in those testers.

I think the dumbest thing I have done like that would be emptying a fyke net of a single eel, then leaving it out on the bank while I did a behaviour test using the eel. An hour later I started cleaning up the net and realised there was a great big common bully sitting in it, looking rather pissed off! Not sure how I missed that guy.

I put him back in the shallows and he soon swam off, looking perfectly healthy despite spending an hour out of the water.

Aquila I am deffinetly checking it in future, and you are right under water it does look like nothing poor thing probably lay still in shock until I poored amonia all over her :o

SamH bristlenoses are good in that sense, I once had one dissapear, so I switched the filter off to stop all currents in the water so I can see better. I had it off for atleast an hour lifting stuff out of the tank and looking behind the tank and so on, eventually I checked the filter and the poor dried up bristlenose female was lying there sucked against the inside amongst all the bio balls. She was looking for a dark corner and went up the filters current, thankfully with my new tank its not really possible :wink:

BikBok they are the best. So happy I have two surviving fry swimming about now, they are the size of the smallest ones you gave me and I also noticed two brand new fry too. Perhaps that is why my chocolate zebra is out and about, apparently its a favourite snack for them, have you noticed Zeb eating them too?

Caryl before I knew what fry was, I actually fished them out and threw them away, thought it was some sort of bacteria. That is when I was just a beginner though, it looked like worms with googley eyes :D

:lol: Stella he must have not liked you that day, but once again I think you missed him because you did not expect him there, well that is what I am telling myself, I still can't believe I did not see her :oops:

BikBok they are the best. So happy I have two surviving fry swimming about now, they are the size of the smallest ones you gave me and I also noticed two brand new fry too. Perhaps that is why my chocolate zebra is out and about, apparently its a favourite snack for them, have you noticed Zeb eating them too?

Hmmm, Zeb HAS been out a lot more than usual and my last lot of fry have all disappeared. Was hoping to grow up a female or two but they be gone, Thought it was the dwarf gourami snacking on them, but maybe not!

Zeb is getting very brave and even chases off the gourami at feeding time. But he lets the Kuhlis slide all over him.

Hmmm, Zeb HAS been out a lot more than usual and my last lot of fry have all disappeared. Was hoping to grow up a female or two but they be gone, Thought it was the dwarf gourami snacking on them, but maybe not!

Zeb is getting very brave and even chases off the gourami at feeding time. But he lets the Kuhlis slide all over him.

Khuli's eat guppy fry! thats how i managed to run out of guppies once, my khulis had eaten all tmy fry, so there was no population growth. i didn't realize until i lost an adult male one day and noticed i had none left.

I've always had plenty of guppy fry left with the 4 kuhlis in the tank. I've never seen them go after a guppy fry but the dwarf gouramis chase them. I noticed a big reduction in survivors after adding the dwarf gourami. But since adding the choc zebra there are even less each month.