shrimps

jaimec

hi,

since joining, i've been real keen on setting up a tropical planted aquarium. but i've stumbled upon NZ natives and am now quite interested in having a freshwater shrimp aquarium.

anyone in the wellington area that can point me to where i can get a few freshwater shrimps to start my tank? i've just been in the khandallah area with the wife and read about koura in the stream but i really would like shrimps to keep.

help.

• 1 month later...

HI jaimec:

by accidently I came back the forum by no reason, hahaa...

Catching the fresh water shrimps are easy, just go to warehouse buy a $5 dollar net.

and then you look for any river or streams at welly, should be easy to find as so many hills and mountain. if there doesn't have any river or streams. just find any spots that have water coming from mountain.

the shrimps are not easy to find but. you places the net towward the grass or side of the river. then you should able to get some.

i want to know where i can get Fresh water crayfish in Auckland, anyone know?

hope this helps.

I caught a few freshwater shrimp about 3 weeks ago (about 50 or so), added them to my plant tubs, my plec show tank and my discus tank and gave a few to the LFS. Just used a large sized net and a strong torch to see/ confuse them and scopped em up several at a time.

Discus Tank @ approx 28 celcius all were dead by next morning

Plec show tank approx 24 celcius they are still doing well 3 weeks later, have darkened up considerably and have made a noteable difference to algae on the crypts in the tank.

Plant tubs @ approx 20 celcius they are doing fine, strangely they seem to keep migrateing through the tubs to the warmest one, i scoop out a few each day and redistribute them through the tubs. I have been feeding them a sprinkle of spirulina powder every 3 or 4 days

LFS Goldfish Tanks @ approx 20 celcius they are doing fine, havent been eaten by goldfish as yet.

potentially, but the scale would probably be much larger than your average shrimp would travel.

I am wondering if they have some kind of urge to migrate upstream. Like if you put juvenile koaro or banded kokopu in a tank like that, they will do exactly what the shrimp are doing.

FuglyDragon, what is the temperature range across these tanks? A little experiment to even it up across the tanks (put a heater halfway around the circuit?) might remove the temperature variable and then we could see if it is a migration thing or a temperature thing.

(I don't think anyone has done any research on temperature and whitebait migration, could be an interesting thing to do, and relevant with reduced riparian shade and water abstraction meaning lower flows and higher temperatures... hmmmmmm, whitebait + choice chambers + water from one stream + two header tanks.....)

actually the flow in the tubs goes the other way, so they were moving downstream as it were. And it is a strong flow so yes they could be 'migrating' in 1 direction or the other. The temperature in the tubs should be fairly constant due to the flow.

The layout is basically 6 x 55 litre fish bins linked together in a circle.

4 ->5-> 6

^

|

3<- 2<- 1

heater is in tub 6, and a pump pumps from 6 to 1, tubs are at different heights so water depth varies from tub to tub. Shrimps were spread randomly about all tubs and after a few days I noticed most of them were in tub 6.

I have also noticed that in my plec display tank which is 4 foot by 18 inch by 18 inch the shrimps seem to stay together in a loose group. Maybe as a defensive measure to all the 'large' fish swimming about ? Anyways they seem to be able to sense / identify the other shrimps and stay together Its way cool watching them pluck away at the algae and general detritus

I caught a few freshwater shrimp about 3 weeks ago (about 50 or so), added them to my plant tubs, my plec show tank and my discus tank and gave a few to the LFS. Just used a large sized net and a strong torch to see/ confuse them and scopped em up several at a time.

Discus Tank @ approx 28 celcius all were dead by next morning

Plec show tank approx 24 celcius they are still doing well 3 weeks later, have darkened up considerably and have made a noteable difference to algae on the crypts in the tank.

Plant tubs @ approx 20 celcius they are doing fine, strangely they seem to keep migrateing through the tubs to the warmest one, i scoop out a few each day and redistribute them through the tubs. I have been feeding them a sprinkle of spirulina powder every 3 or 4 days

LFS Goldfish Tanks @ approx 20 celcius they are doing fine, havent been eaten by goldfish as yet.

Did you catch them in chch? If you did, where?

Ashley river, down by the mouth there is a backwater (on the north side) that was teeming with shrimps and giant bullies 4 weeks or so ago when i was last out there.

Wen't out to ellesmere last night and caught some smaller what i think are mysis shrimp ? also caught 1 tiny fish that looked like a mini whitebait maybe 15mm long and clear, but unfortunatley it didnt survive the trip home. Plenty of eels , smelt and bullies about, didnt see any flounder though. Got a couple of nice trout for my efforts so all in all a good night.

Really hot day here today and my fishroom was like a sauna, didnt have time to check on the shrimps but ill check on them in the morning and see if they survived the temp increase...

Made another trip to the lake last night, got some more grasiny photos of the small shrimps that are there, believe them to be mysis shrimps ? Biggest of them would be about 15mm, eyes shine bright pink in torch light and most were swimming upstream agaisnt a mild current. Also caught a couple of trout for my efforts :)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... bd10fb0122

Made another trip to the lake last night, got some more grasiny photos of the small shrimps that are there, believe them to be mysis shrimps ? Biggest of them would be about 15mm, eyes shine bright pink in torch light and most were swimming upstream agaisnt a mild current. Also caught a couple of trout for my efforts :)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... bd10fb0122

That sounds about the right size.

Hi Jaimec, if your willing to come out to the Hutt I can show you where to get some.

Any plans on the night of the 13/14th November?

Peter

hey peter

missed out on this message of yours... i've put the tank on hold for now until we come back from our holiday. but yeah would be keen to check out some spots in the hutt some time.

cheers

jaime

Thought this was quite interesting! :o

Was doing a water change today, causing the shrimps to get a bit frightened or something.

In the middle of it a few of them started climb up the glass, where the spray bars were showering

the glass with water, creating a waterfall effect.

quite strong little guys! They were grabbing hold onto the algae on the glass. :o

IMG_20101116_185414a.jpg

IMG_20101116_185423a.jpg

I got the shrimps off members on here who had them at 24 - 25 degrees.

The first batch I took home I acclimatized them like fish, i.e. added water from my tank real slowly.

The second batch came with 2 berried females, so I kept the lot in a separate empty tank at 24 for about a week

and found that I was losing them slowly including the 2 berried females (fed them tetra colour bits, but may have be lack of algae or detrius),

so I put them into the current tank where they've been doing well so far

ok, thx for all the members info...

this is the interesting part....

so if we catch them from wild, shall we straight put them into a 24-25 degree tank?

or... temperature is actually not very fuzzy with them as llong they have enough oxygen and food supply?????

then they will be able to survive?