Stock suggestions for a long / shallow tank

the-obstacle

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tank? I had it custom made by Greg at tanks2u to fit the only space I have for it - a long breakfast bar area that only gets used for storing stuff we haven't quite put away yet (junk) in between the kitchen and lounge.

Funny that, I think I saw a tank with the similar dimensions. My mistake.

No idea, can't remember, must've been awhile ago. Hmm I hear about this tank2u a lot though, and all good things. I've been thinking bout getting a Low Iron bow Front tank with black silicon seals made, I wonder if they (or is it just 1 person?) can do those.

Also, shellies, indeed they were something I knew I'd know :lol: . Was in pic of the month not long back if I remember right. I'm not a fan of cichlids but even I agree that those are cute.

I hear about this tank2u a lot though, and all good things. I've been thinking bout getting a Low Iron bow Front tank with black silicon seals made, I wonder if they (or is it just 1 person?) can do those.

It's just the one guy from what I can tell but my tank was $90 in standard glass or $120 in low iron. I went with the $120 option and it's awesome! email him on [email protected]. He was more than happy to do anything I wanted with it. If you've got an idea of how you want the bracing / lid / holes etc. just tell him and he'll sort it.

Yea what I want is pretty weird tried to get a different tank maker to quote me already but I think they gave up after a try or two :lol:. A completely LI tank ay :D? I am jealous, bet it'll look awesome once you decide what to put in it. My sister just gave me 'the eye' as I was going around the room measuring possible places I could have the tank :lol:. I don't think she's too pleased with my MTS invading our living room.

Thanks all - I'll have to pop into hollywoods to see what they've got as it's a bit far to drive to chch for some fish. :D

I'm liking the rainbow suggestion more and more. They'll be sharing with some guppies if I can get the guppies back to health quickly enough.

As it's a first tank I'm going for a mixed sand / gravel with plants and a couple of rocks. I think once I get permission to get a bigger tank this one will either become a shellie or fast river tank though - they're awesome! I'm building it all up this weekend so will post some shots when there's something to show.

Thanks again

dan

Sorry for contuing this thread to death but could anybody confirm if this stock list would be available in NZ?

AquStockImage.php?N=&L=47.2440944882&D=9.84251968504&H=9.84251968504&J=&UV=L&UL=cm&F=5:200909300019:0,1:200909300207:0,5:200909300039:0,3:200909300153:0,5:200912011170:0,5:201001131500:0,4:200909300093:0

I know most are but not sure on the dwarf corys or the feather fins.

Should I replace anything with any other species? I've tried to plan a good community tank with fish that like rocks, plants and sand as well as a bit of swimming space.

I think I've seen feather fins in HFF a while back, and I've asked about dwarf cories before, and they said they do get them in once in a while, but depends on their suppliers, so they're not something that's commonly available here I'd guess.

I went in this afternoon and they didn't have either unfortunately.

you get pygmy cories here.

Ahh, that'd explain it. I think that's what I spotted there. Can you/anybody recommend a cory that would play nice with the others on the list that I could replace it with and that isn't too big?

Take your pick. They are all peaceful.

The panda cories stay small.

That was going to be my next choice.

I may have made a mistake with my substrate choice - I got black grit to offset the silica sand - will oto's be ok with that or should I have gotten something a bit more course? I plan to leave them until the tank is fully matured and I'll be able to seed some algae on some smaller rocks for them.

It's done. Well, enough to get some fish in to get it cycled. JoshLikesFish had some black neons going so I put them in with the flying fox (which I thought was a SAE up until yesterday) to get the amonia going.

I've also got a stocking full of some gravel from the other cycled tank and some of the filter media in the filter. The stocking adds to the look of the tank in a great way, I don't know why more tanks don't have these as permanent features :lol: :lol:

Some pics:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/958/img6076.jpg

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3563/img6075o.jpg

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/3458/img6074.jpg

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/2751/img6073m.jpg

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/8370/img6072d.jpg