Query about an oddball fish

FishBen

Today I ordered a 100L tank to be made.

My plan is to fill it with a ton of plants, a plecostomus and/or some cories.

I also would like to get a single (or several, if inexpensive)... Odd fish, something a bit different. I was originally planning on getting an elephant nose but I read up on them and found they can grow FAR too large for my planned tank. Preferably a peaceful fish, and something that won't spend all it's time hiding (like eel's do :evil: ). And if possible not horrendously expensive :oops:

So.. Looking for suggestions, help me out guys :D

By the way, tank dimensions are; 70 long, 36 back to front, 40 high.

Nah, lol :)

Nandus nandus is a species of leaf fish allowed in NZ and some people on the 2 forums have them...otherwise not sure what other kinds are available but you could enquire with HFF.

Also pantadon butterfly, or hatchet fish (if you consider that oddball), or bumblebee gobies, or scarlet badis or some cool killifish.

Nandus nandus is a species of leaf fish allowed in NZ and some people on the 2 forums have them...otherwise not sure what other kinds are available but you could enquire with HFF.

Also pantadon butterfly, or hatchet fish (if you consider that oddball), or bumblebee gobies, or scarlet badis or some cool killifish.

Local fish store has pantadon's but whenever I see them they are floating in the corner looking dead, and the first time I saw them I told the lfs lady that she had dead fish in her tank! :oops:

I wouldn't really consider hatchet oddball, I thought gobbies required brackish water, and I will look into killies, thanks :D

Sorry, one more suggestion: Mono Sebae

I read they can grow up to 10" :cry: Way too big for my tank

edit - Had a look at Scarlet badis, they look very, very cool. Any idea what the price range would be though, was recomended to keep in semi large schools and couldn't really afford that if they are like $50 each :lol: :lol:

Are these the only ones that are available in New Zealand? I just read they can grow up to 8 inches :o

Edit; sorry re-read your post, have sent email to HFF :D

I have some red eye puffers that will be happy as im your tank everyone says they are agressive but they arnt as long as you have plenty of hiding spots, my ones are about as agressive as rams :)

As long as you're sure they won't kill each other.. I might be interested, it was $25 each and $23 for shipping to Nelson right?

I'd like to get two if that's OK, preferably the least aggressive two of the three, would get more but I fear my 100L would only be suitable for two and three is a bit out of price range :lol: :lol:

As I said at the start of the thread, getting tank made now, but it won't be finished until early next week ( :roll: ) and I'll have to wait for tank to cycle (got plenty of tanks to seed bacteria from so won't take tooo long) so I wouldn't be able to buy them until the end of next week-ish (give or take a few days), would that be OK?

Edit: Do you think one would be happy by itself? I was kinda reluctent to ask for just one because I figured it would be quite lonely, but I'm also quite worried about their aggression so yeah, lol. If anyone here can give me some advice would be greatly appreciated as my only (puffer) experience is with my two dwarf puffers :)

Choices for suitable oddballs: Small eel (peacock), Black ghost knife (for a while-will need to upgrade though), Butterfly fish, puffers, badis badis, leaf fish... not really that much else oh yeah, albino sens. Upgrade to 200L and you can keep some bichirs. Anything such as a arowana, datnoid, ornate bichir, GG which count for most of the oddballs and you will need something more substantial. IMO go for a small group of butterfly fish, lazy on their own but add a few and I think they are bit more entertaining.

Choices for suitable oddballs: Small eel (peacock), Black ghost knife (for a while-will need to upgrade though), Butterfly fish, puffers, badis badis, leaf fish... not really that much else oh yeah, albino sens. Upgrade to 200L and you can keep some bichirs. Anything such as a arowana, datnoid, ornate bichir, GG which count for most of the oddballs and you will need something more substantial. IMO go for a small group of butterfly fish, lazy on their own but add a few and I think they are bit more entertaining.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Local LFS has butterflys at 80$ ea, couldn't really afford a group of them :lol:

Did some of them come in?? IIRC they were supposed to come in with the first lot of Nandus but ended up being something else. I don't recall seeing them here in recent years, if at all.

I haven't seen these here yet but used to see them in Canada all the time. Since I know Nandus nandus made it here, i thought maybe other species of leaffish may also have.