Buying a new laptop

axolotl-danio

So my old laptop (nec versa e2000) is painfully slow and it's time to upgrade to something a bit more modern. It will mainly be used for web surfing as well as internet video, video editing, homework and maybe a little photo and music work. At the moment I am leaning towards something like a macbook pro but was woundering what everybody else's thaughts were. I am fairly confident with computers; windows, linux and mac and would rather not spend more than $2500.

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Yeah I'm with P44.. build a desktop unless you absolutely have a need to drag your computer around with you.. You get double the bang for your bucks! (or the same bang for half the bucks)

Although I won't be using it much outside the house I prefer to be able to just lie on the couch or bed and surf the net and do homework etc.

I've been doing a lot of research lately because i'm looking to replace my laptop too and I decided on getting a Toshiba Satellite P500 11S. It is bad-ass. It's got a quad-core processor (i7) - there are 4 of them!!!!, 4GB ram (its only downside for me as i was looking for 6-8 but i can upgrade later if i want), 750GB harddrive, 17.5" screen, a Blue-ray player, incredibly good speakers (reviews have been saying they are some of the best quality possible for a laptop), etc.

I chose it because it is near the fastest comp on the market and i'm looking for a laptop to be a desktop replacement. It is heavy but luckily i am done school and will not be carrying it outside the house. Because its so powerful, it doesn't last as long on battery life as do the smaller more portable types but that doesn't affect me.

Currently its listed for $2999 which is a bit more then you wanted to spend, but I was in HN the other day again stalking it (haha) and noticed that they also released a baby brother version for a lot less ($2100 i think). I forget the exact name of it but you will be able to tell which one it is because it looks exactly like the P500 on the exterior. The only diff is that it is smaller (15.5"), has 500GB RAM, and no blue-ray player (but still a DVD drive). all other specs are the same!!! So you would be getting extreme value for money.

I would highly recommend Toshiba. I've had my old Toshiba Satellite for about 6 years and it is still running, and aside from a few things FINALLY giving out (like the DVD burner, SD card reader, and battery no longer being able to unplugged from the wall), it still works although now its much slower as its still on 1GB or RAM and has an outdated processor.

I would advise against building a laptop or buying a mac book for the following reasons. When it comes to building laptops (DELL for example), you will end up paying MORE for the same specs and without the flashy bonuses. Desktop PCs may be more worth building but not laptops.

Macbooks, have a lot of eye candy software installed on them (comparable to Windows 7 now anyways) and are overpriced for what you get hardware-wise. You will be paying close to $2000 and only getting 2GB ram, 350GB harddrive and a single processor equivallent to the INTEL i3 or i5 (which are both much slower now then the new i7). As far as them being better for music, i don't see how...their speakers are not any better. If you like iTunes, you can download it on a PC as well. I could go on for days about why you are buying into the brand of Mac rather then getting a better computer...but i'll just finish with saying that people's arguments for Macs being better: 'they are more reliable and easier to use' does not read with me. My Toshiba NEVER crashed in all 6 years that i have used it (i don't even remember what a blue screen looks like). Secondly, you are not a 'ma and pa' consumer...can you honestly say that you've ever found a computer 'hard' to use? Windows supports a myriad of software....if you don't like using a certain program because its illogical (eg. window media player or IE) simple use VLC and firefox instead. Easy as and free.

If you wait till x-mas, prices are likely to drop even more.

The only diff is that it is smaller (15.5"), has 500GB RAM, and no blue-ray player (but still a DVD drive). all other specs are the same!!! So you would be getting extreme value for money.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

:lol:

I also recommend getting a PC over a MAC. Apart from the fact far more software is compatible with a PC, you can also customize a PC far more than you could a MAC. And on top of that, you'll pay more for the same specs when buying a MAC.

Hahah, sorry about that! I meant 500GB harddrive :oops: It has 4GB ram like the bigger one.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

:lol:

I also recommend getting a PC over a MAC. Apart from the fact far more software is compatible with a PC, you can also customize a PC far more than you could a MAC. And on top of that, you'll pay more for the same specs when buying a MAC.