DIY Slate Caves

kiwiplymouth

I decided to make some slate caves for some of my cats.

I started with some pieces of slate, a dremel with a diamond blade and some silcone

0012-2.jpg

I cut the sides and backs of the caves with the dremel

003-10.jpg

Then siliconed the backs and sides to the base

006-3.jpg

The roof of the cave is not siliconed just in case I want to get into the caves in the future.

007-7.jpg

010-6.jpg

Thanks to Navarre for supplying the pieces of slate

Are these sitting on gravel or glass base? I ask because the slate bases seem quite large and I wonder if you will get dead areas underneath, or if you will regularly lift them to siphon underneath?

I too like using slate but have always stacked them, not siliconed them together. Also not used a base, just sit them on the gravel. Siliconing is safer of course as you don't have to worry about a fish bumping the sides and having it collapse on them :-?

BTW, anyone that wants to try this, you need a diamond wheel. The normal cutoff wheels if you try them on rock take about 2 seconds until the whole wheel is turned into a big pink cloud of smoke.

Leaves a very nicely polished nick in the rock that you can just barely feel with your fingernail...

Most cats prefer a cave with only one entrance, whiptails are the the only exception in my experience.

I have never had a pleco get stuck in a cave but I suppose it can and does happen

Caryl I hadn't given dead spots much thought really but my tanks do get regular gravel vacs so I dont envisage any problems. I already have rocks and wood in my tanks that have much larger footprints than these.

They will normally spawn in closed ended caves, but they are not designed for red spot plecos.

These are for the smaller species of plecos like some panaques, hypans and ancistrus sp.

So they should have a little sign outside the entrance saying "Sorry Red Spot Pleco this cave has not been designed for you, please stay out or you could get stuck"? :wink:

Just kidding.. I know what you mean. I was just giving an example of the biggest pleco I could think of that could possibly get stuck in the caves shown. My question really was are plecos generally happy to back out of the hole they came in or prefer to swim through like a tunnel.. but it has been answered already.. thanks!

Hahaha.. awesome! If that guy got stuck he could just flex a muscle and the pot would crack.. how big is he/she?

He's conveniently stuck to the front glass where I can measure him now... 300mm to the fork of his tail, about 375 including his tail.