Lighting Recommendations

maoripho3nix

Hi all,

I've been looking around online at lighting fixtures for the newly acquired tank.

Size = 1140L x 390D x 430H(water level will be about 360H)

Im looking at growing a range of plants that are less demanding of light, but may eventually have glosso growing. I want to buy a light hood capable of doing all, rather than buy one and having to upgrade to accommodate.

What are peoples recommendations on lighting for my tank?

That's a LOT of light, I am growing Ambulia, Java Fern and Java Moss under 2x 4ft T8s. With that PL light, you will need heaps of CO2 for sure.

Ive seen a few t5 and t8 hoods around, even in the industrial section of TM, but a few posts on the forums have said that glosso fails under NO lights. Many have had success with HO lights or MH.

Im also in the stages of setting up pressurized co2 sodastream kit, I have the needle valve, solenoid, and SS cylinder, just need the regulator and im ready to assemble

:D

A stock T5 unit will be better.

Was waiting for your input :lol:

Is it worth getting a T5HO light unit? In saying that, if I wasnt to go with growing glosso, can I put in T5NO's in a T5HO unit?

Ive got a bit of a budget this time, but obviously less $ spent the better. Also with tubes, I was just gonna go with a dual light hood, I want a tube best for growing plants, and another best for bringing out colour in fish.

Might get the T5HO double bulb unit, and a very cheap T5NO unit.

Main goal/plan is to start off a few hours in morning with T5NO...less intense light, then up the intensity at midday with the T5HO, then back later in the arvo with the less intense, then possibly along the line get some moonlights. I have a small box full of underwater lights that will probably be used for moonlight idea. Glosso will probably play a big part in the tank, but I thought of this idea after reading a lot of posts, and I'm guessing it will prolong the use of the bulbs in the T5HO...

Comments? :lol:

You can't use normal T5 tubes in a HO unit. You risk damaging / runining the unit and you won't be covered by its warranty.

Each T5HO tube produces about 93 lumens /watt irrespective of the size of the tube / hood.

It is possible to grow glosso under T5HO with day spectrum HO tubes that are about half the price of powerglos, but it is faster to use powerglos, and the plants will do better under them.

search evil_elmos posts on here for a juwel tank he grew glosso in. Juwels also use T5HOs but because of patents they just call the technology something else. e_e also opted to switch to powerglos after a while.

I too have grown glosso under a 24x2W T5HO with powerglos and the results were great. The glosso grew at the same rate as with my 70W MH (6500K).

The deeper the tank, the more lumens/watt you will need to penetrate the light. At the moment the best for that is T5HO/VHO; LED (unaffordable); and MH.

Looks like im going with the T5HO then, was gonna go MH but because of the length of the tank I'd have to get multiple fixtures and somehow get them above my tank. A professionally made light fixture is more than the T5HO so that also helped make my mind up :lol:

So the powerglos will be good for the plants and will make the colours in the fish more vibrant?? give them that glowing wow factor??

:hail:

So the powerglos will be good for the plants and will make the colours in the fish more vibrant?? give them that glowing wow factor??

:hail:

Yes, that sums it up. It's kind of like those lights in the supermarket that make the red meats look more vibrant and red.

Also, red plants go mental under powerglos. Not so much under any other ones.

Anyone know the exact specs of the hagen glo-light range, had a look at their website but it doesnt say much at all. :roll:

Kelvin, Lumen, Colour etc

I wanted to compare it to these

http://genet.gelighting.com/LightProduc ... luorescent^Freshwater%20Aquarium&SearchFieldCode=null

I know the glo's will be better but I wanted to compare on specs. Im sure the GE lights are probably cheaper as the are T8NO's and should be able to order them in easy enough from Mitre10 or something.

Here is a link to some comparisons of conventional bulbs to the GE 9325K bulbs. Maybe other major brands have similar bulbs? Research :P

type in the name of the glo tube like powerglo and then K into google and you'll get your answer.

powerglos are 18000K but are formulated with extra blue and red peaks on the spectrum

plant pros are 18000K but vary from brand to brand

life glo is 6700K

then there is the marine tube that is blue.

Hi maoripho3nix,

I would be surprised if you could get the GE Salt or Fresh tubes in New Zealand. I enquired with GE NZ about the Fresh and Salt Aqua tube (Triphosphor, long life, high (er) lumen rating) and they said they don't bring them into NZ at all. I had to get mine from the UK, place called Lampspecs - for just over half the price each (including freight) I paid for my last Triton tube I purchased from Animates 6 years or so ago.

In terms of output they don't touch T5HO though.

Am in the process of finishing conversion of my bigger tank from T8 to T5HO. My smaller tank has one F&SA 30W 10000k and one Osram Lumilux 6500k.

cheers

Anyone know the exact specs of the hagen glo-light range, had a look at their website but it doesnt say much at all. :roll:

Kelvin, Lumen, Colour etc

I wanted to compare it to these

http://genet.gelighting.com/LightProduc ... luorescent^Freshwater%20Aquarium&SearchFieldCode=null

I know the glo's will be better but I wanted to compare on specs. Im sure the GE lights are probably cheaper as the are T8NO's and should be able to order them in easy enough from Mitre10 or something.

Here is a link to some comparisons of conventional bulbs to the GE 9325K bulbs. Maybe other major brands have similar bulbs? Research :P

My glosso failed due to low light instead of spreading it grow upwards and turn ugly! I set up the glosso same time together with my friend nano tank and he is using T5HO and the differences? his glosso spread like a wild fire! and you ended getting a nice green foreground:) hence T5HO (High Intensity) do help in growing and i'm planning to grab one now.

The heat the bulbs themselves put out is consistent with the total output. I don't think it's actually that different than you get with fluoros, it's just that it's emitted by a 1"ish wide area for a 250w rather than some 250 inches for similar output fluoro.:) And you tend to have 1 big ballast rather than 5-6 small ones.

Is the 150w MH better than 4x24w T5HO? i guess MH eat your electricity! and 150w MH is HOT

Well, it would burn less electricity yeah...Well, or about the same, depends if it's magnetic or electronic ballast. And tend to penetrate a bit better so if you have a deep tank it would be better. I think bulb replacement would be cheaper also than replacing 4 t5 tubes. The only place it wouldn't be better would be if you spread the 4 tubes out over a larger area they'll cover a large area with dimmer light vs the mh which would be concentrated on a relatively small area(Depending on reflectors, etc)