Copper Pipes

Adrienne

I am pretty sure most dechlorination products get rid of heavy metals.. But I would also think that copper pipes would only be a problem if they water had been sitting in them for a long period, I would be inclined to flush the water out of the tap/hose for a while before using it.

In the first few weeks of use of copper in a plumbing system the copper forms an amalgum with iron and becomes a lot more resistant to corrosion. Corrosion is a problem in acid water supplies and that is why the water supply authorities go to a lot of trouble to keep the water slightly alkaline.

It is highly unlikely that you would get toxic levals of copper from your taps. Our house has the original hot water cylinder from when the house was built in 1945. Copper is very toxic to humans and snails would crawl out of the tank before the fish died. All the taps would leak if there was a problem as the first sign is dezincafication of the brass taps where the zinc is corroded and leaves a honeycomb of copper because zinc is more reactive than copper.

There isn't any. It is a joint that fits into the pipe and is kept in place by a clamped metal ring. The solvent used on PVC pipes is MEK (methyl-ethyl-ketone). It is a lot easier to use a flexible pipe with clamped joints when doing alterations in an existing building than to sil-flos copper pipes, and a lot cheaper.

It is highly unlikely that you would get toxic levals of copper from your taps. Our house has the original hot water cylinder from when the house was built in 1945. Copper is very toxic to humans and snails would crawl out of the tank before the fish died.

I agree, the amount would be un-measurable. I have a small copper washer in the filter of one my tanks to kill snails, fish are fine.

Copper is a very effective treatment for some diseases (particularly velvet). The disadvantage is that some fish find copper very toxic (Nothobranchius sp. for instance). It is used by some breeders to control velvet but today is usually used in the chelated form where citric acid is added to a copper sulphate solution to make it less toxic. It also makes it less effective but them's the breaks.

interesting idea, does it work?

There seems to be less small/baby snails, it's only been in there a month or so. Regular water changes keep the levels very low so doesn't effect the fish. It's only in my guppy tank didn't want to risk the others untill I can be sure it is fine.