Glass Thickness

Drifty

Hi, I will be ordering a new tank in the next few months but I am confused about what thickness the glass should be. The tank size will be approx 2.0 m long, 65cm wide and 65 cm high.

I had though that i needed 12mm glass but have also been told 10mm would be ok, what do you all think???

Drifty use the calculator. If it was me I would make it from 10mm except the front/back/bottom which I would use 12mm, I am sure 10mm will work, but it depends on the 'sleep at night factor'. You will need a VERY STRONG center brace for such a long tank. The glass calculator assumes the tank is perfectly braced.

Take a look at my thread for my new setup, there are some photos of tank bracing. My tank is 2200Lx950Wx730H.

Also remember that most of your 'aqua scaping' is provided by withdth, so if you can you may enjoy going wider (750? +) as it will provide more asthetic options.

I assume your building it for a saltwater tank. SERIOUSLY consider having the tank drilled for closed loops and returns. My new tank has 7 holes and its worked out better than I had hoped. A laser cut perspecs overflow is best from what I have found from my own experance. Cost less than $100 to get the perspecs, laser cut and folded. Again some pics on my thread.

I've spend months planning my tank so if you need some help yell out, I am sure I will be able to help you out.

good luck

Pieman