freshwater - diy CO2

Fay

tis ok. so not a co2 bottle as in a pressurised bottle from boc you mean one of those co2 kits with yeast? i had one of those dupla something and it was useless always got blocked (not to mention expensive for continued use) try putting the bottle closer to the water surface? i would imagine if its sitting too low you're counting on the pressure from the yeast fermenting to pump the co2 into the tank.

To stop yeast getting into the tube, try using a bigger bottle (assuming the source is a real DIY coke-bottle arrangement). If you can't/don't want to change the bottle, put in less sugar/water or keep it cooler. In other words, either reduce the CO2 production rate so you get less froth or make more room for the froth. I only half fill a 1.5 litre bottle and it works fine.

Hiya

also to avoid stuff from the CO2 reactor blocking the airstone, i use a 2nd bottle with a rubber stopper in the top with 2 holes in it.

In one hole is the tube from the reactor and the other hole has a tube from the bottle to the tank so any nasties coming from the reactor drop harmlessly into the 2nd bottle and not into the tank.

The rubber stopper i got from the school i work at from the science dept but im sure they could be sourced elsewhere.

Thanx

peter

More plants more cover, + less NO3 etc in the water. But not directly no. If fact I have heard rumours of people killing fish by running too much co2, I think the way it works is in warmer tanks (like discus) where there is lower o2 anyway, plant go hard out during the day and produce lots of o2, then when the lights go out they stop and start putting out heaps of co2, this plus the high levels of co2 being put in suffocates the fish.

Might be crap, and I wouldn't lose sleep over it happening but....

Also co2 alters the PH level because it creates carbonic acid, better co2 systems use this to measure how much co2 is in the system and autoshut off at night when the level goes up (i.e. plants stop using it and generate their own)

My co2 DIY tips-----

1) I got sick of making up yeast etc mixtures so got a sodastream bottle, co2 valve, needle valve, and made my own. It was a bit tricky to setup without PH shutoff etc but worked fine, got about 2 months from a bottle (except for the time i knocked the valve too far open and turned the tank into a giant tonic soda (joking!)).

2) if you have a filter or powerhead that has an air intake thing, feed your co2 in here it defuses into the water far better, just watch out if you are using yeast method because the pump will suck on the co2 generator and could suck in yeast mix.

hiya

suphew : Do you have a pic of your soda stream bottle idea?

This is what im playing with at the moment.

I have everything but cant find a suitable device to hold the little valve in the bottle open.

I am playing with the idea of using the soda stream valve thing that the bottle attaches to and holding it open with a rubber band, then the flow will be regulated by a small regualter an needle valve then off to the diffuser / bubble counter

Thanx

Peter

Another tip for coke-bottle arrangements: place the bottle on top of the lights. Then the yeast growth, and hence CO2 production, is modulated with the heat from the lights. Then there is more CO2 when the lights are on and the plants photosynthesize. Theoretically this should keep the CO2 levels and pH more stable. Assuming the CO2 dissolves quickly enough and so on. I have no idea if it actually works out this way.

I've been planning to have a go posting some pic's of my tank so will get into gear and have a go. I was lucky I had a brass attchment, basically screws onto the bottle has a rubber seal, and a little pointy bit in the middle to push the valve in, thread in the other end to atach the co2 regulator to. Can you pull you sodastream apart? There should be a similar thing in there. By the way BE CAREFULL the bottles are high pressure think about 700psi. I took one off my bottle once while it was still full and it blow the seal right out, and I crapped myself!

well no not really, but i spose the more the plants flourish, the healther and more stable the enviroment they live in stays. PH is dropped by Co2

It does benefit the fish as the O2 level is higher than an airated tank. The O2 diffused back by the plants can often oversaturate the water and the oxygen will diffuse out of the water back into the air...

In an airated tank the O2 and CO2 levels are in equalibrium with the relative levels in the atmosphere. The CO2 injection raises the CO2 level above the equalibrium point and the plants raise the O2 level. CO2 will stay dissolved in the water for some time as it will hold a lot of CO2 before it is saturated. The reason it is not high in the water to start with is due to a relatively low atmospheric CO2 level. O2 on the other hand does not dissolve anywhere near as well as CO2...

This only happens when the lights are on. At night the CO2 level will rise due to the reactor and also due to the plants using O2.

Basically in the light plants convert CO2 to O2 and in the dark they convert O2 to CO2 but in smaller quantities.