What are these mosses

A-town...

it is not willow moss joe...

:lol: Yeah, it's not willow. Pics?

I found it in the local river. I also saw some that was better developed, because it was higher up on the side of the river on a stone, therefor recieved more light. I took it (but there was only a bit), but it got cyanobacter on it and got choked. It was definately willow moss. Do you expect to see java or xmas moss in your local stream? NO. The other stuff I took was right down on the bottom of river bed, and hadn't grown as well because it recieved less light. Willow moss has high lighting needs if it is to grow properly.

I found it in the local river. I also saw some that was better developed, because it was higher up on the side of the river on a stone, therefor recieved more light. I took it (but there was only a bit), but it got cyanobacter on it and got choked. It was definately willow moss. Do you expect to see java or xmas moss in your local stream? NO. The other stuff I took was right down on the bottom of river bed, and hadn't grown as well because it recieved less light. Willow moss has high lighting needs if it is to grow properly.

JOe, you can look at it a million times if you like and call it willow moss, but it is NOT willow moss.

Java and Xmas moss can and will grow in cold water. I have been doing a trial all year long and it is flourishing outdoors.

The moss you found is not willow moss. Period.

top looks like a type of oxygen weed?

bottom almost looks like a moss founds around damp forest floors

http://www.nrc.govt.nz/Environment/Weed ... club-moss/

top picture moss is only about 1cm per strand so very tiny so definatly a moss of some type. second pic could be what you say but does it grow fully submersed?

The above statement in no way rules out Java Moss and certainly does not suggest Willow Moss at all. Go get some more and post pics up here if you're so sure, otherwise stop claiming you have something you most likely do not.

• 3 months later...

It could be possible, the mosses will surely grow different depending on their environment conditions. high light in a tank, low compact growth. Low light, taller growth, also with more water current like a stream, the mosses could grow longer like the ones you found earlier.

They do look very similar IMO

New Zealand has a lot of native aquatic bryophytes (liverworts and mosses). Often found in deep water of lakes, but some are also found in the shallows.

If no one here knows what they are, I might be able to point you someone at NIWA who might know.

Really pretty photos!

• 2 weeks later...