Moving fish, What courier company to use???

trophy_malaw

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim

NZ Couriers in Rosebank Rd refused to carry them last time (about 2 weeks ago)

I tried to point them in the direction of these threads that showed that they would but with no luck. It was a definate no (And very rudely as well)

I had used them for ages with no problems at all. These were going to the south Island.

Courier post took them with no problems

Jim

NZ Couriers in Rosebank Rd refused to carry them last time (about 2 weeks ago)

I tried to point them in the direction of these threads that showed that they would but with no luck. It was a definate no (And very rudely as well)

I had used them for ages with no problems at all. These were going to the south Island.

Courier post took them with no problems

I had the same issue until I got in touch with the head animal inspector for NZ from the SPCA who rung the couriers for me and told them to stop being stupid as they had not issued any rulings on not shipping fish :) Then I got a polite call back saying they would take my fish again..

i manage a franchised business & not all franchises are equal, it comes down to how good the individual is at running his business & generally franchises are not handed out to people that will be good operators rather to the guy with the $ to buy one.

The other major ones are not franchisees for a start.

Most of the couriers are "independent contractors" so if anything a “franchise” should have more control over the quality of the service

INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR

A person or business who performs services for another person under an express or implied agreement and who is not subject to the other's control, or right to control, the manner and means of performing the services; not as an employee. One who engages an independent contractor is not liable to others for the acts or omissions of the independent contractor.

When people speak of franchises, they are usually referring to business format franchises. Such a franchise is essentially a business clone.

The franchisor has developed a system for reproducing his business (often right down to the last detail). When you buy a franchise, you rent the franchisor's trademark and method of doing business. The method of doing business involves a standardized approach to delivering a product or service.

a franchise does have more control which is the very problem, someone without the knowledge or experience will most likely make a hash of it.

the business i manage was bought by someone with no experience in the trade, it was a complete shambles & was loosing alot of $ when i joined but due to my experience in this business from my previous employment with the previous owner & the business experience i gained with other companies it is now very successful.

i know poste haste has branch managers, all the couriers are generally contractors but they are the ones driving around dropping off & picking up rather than running the offices.

Are you for real scottie? o.O

A franchisee brand has little to no control over the qualitative service provided by its franchisee owner; the goal is standardisation of processes and output. AKA we get your item from point A to point B, that is our job and we do it well. Time is irrelevant, as that is a measure of service and not product. The franchisee owner only has to adopt the top level management and practises of the parent company, and that company usually has certain restrictive covenants imposed on the franchisee. he then has to operate within the confines of those restrictions.

Either which way, what is apparent is that a franchisee like fastways (edit) has varied results across the country, and thus the problem exists. the service from one branch differs vastly from another.

From my experience a franchise provides better service because of the goals set by the parent company than an independent contractor would provide because there are minimum requirements set.

With the example of Post Haste there drivers are independent contractors and there is a lot of difference between the areas. Some are amazing and some could not care less what they do. With Fastway they may have a lower service quality in some areas but are more standard because of the limits put in place.

The above is my opinion that has been formed by having worked as an inderpendant contractor for a courier company and having a mother and father that were couriers for 15 years and worked for NZ couriers, Post Haste and Fastways (among others)

i recently looked into purchasing a fastways courier franchise, the fastway couriers are franchised to the local region which may also be a franchise of the franchisor which i am not totally sure of. this is the reason i din't take one as i would need to sell the delivery franchise if i wanted out. a mate is a poste haste contractor, if he wants to get out of it he just has to give a certain amount of notice before stopping being a contractor.

as for the franchise group i work for, there are vast differences in locations due to the owners ability, there are 4 really great branches but the rest are ok or very poor. it is directly relevant to the person owning/running it. in saying that what we do is very technical, not as simple as couriering or other franchises.

agree with poste haste but i suggested fastways a while back which created several posts saying how bad they are.

Poste haste charges $13.50 overnight to Wanganui, Fastways charges $35 for the same sized package overnight.