chocolate zebra is all better(updated with two pics 16 July)

mcrudd

I bought two heater guards and they are now in place, a good thing too, cause the other little chocolate zebra is hiding behind the heater in the main tank too :roll:

I have the burn/wound little chocolate zebra in quarantine with a heater guard as well. He has been given his first dose of furan2 and is not looking to bad, hopefully he will pull through and make it, only time will tell :wink:

I have upped both tanks temperatures to 26 degrees, my tanks usually ran on 24 degrees, but one of the guys at hollywoods suggested I up it a bit to 26.

I also bought lots of nice stones to make more caves, will do that tomorrow after my weekly waterchange. I also bought two smaller bogwoods as well, so there won't be unneccesarry (sp) fights about the bogwood.

Hopefully all of the above will work.

BikBok I will buy some salt if the furan2 does not work, will give that a go first. How is your precious little one doing now?

he's doing great!

I can spot him most times of the day but he comes fully out in the early evening at feed time and shares food with the kuhlis.

He looked so sad when he had the ich and I was really worried about losing him but he pulled through and seems to have healed really nicely. He had a lot of white smudginess after the ich but the salt helped to clear it all up before I put him back in the main tank.

I'm wanting to get a young rainbow shark in a few weeks time but must admit I'm a little nervous because of the reputation of the shark.. but will watch closely to make sure he doesn't bother the choc zebra or the little whiptail I have.

My HFF Female guppies (the german imports) went into the main tank today after several weeks in QT. I had a NZ guppy in with them as a test fish and all seemed well. Next week I'll put the males in.. and then it's just the rainbow shark to finish the tank how I want it.

Yay - it's all coming together.

I just did the 25% waterchange and added more furan2. His/Her little wounds ar looking much better, but he/she is still very sluggish at reacting to me in the tank. He/she also looks a bit bloated. Hubby wanted me to stop adding medicine, said it might be making the little choccie sick. I also added a little airstone to make more oxygen, please advice me what to do. I added the medicine, as that is what it demanded, please advice me what to do next. :-?

This is what it says on the box....add first dose, 1 packet to 38 litres, repeat dose after 24 hours, wait another 24 hours then change 25%water. Repeat the treatment for a second time for a total of 4 doses, make a final waterchange of 25%, treatment may be repeated if necessary.

oh man I don't know. I'm always cautious with the plecs because of the perception of them being scaleless (even though they aren't) but I still worry about their sensitivity to medicines.

I treated my first BN with furan 2 when he got heater burn and he came right but I used 3/4 strength furan2. BUT ... two weeks later he suddenly died :-(

That's not really helpful is it! sorry, just keep a careful watch until someone can advise.

I treat them just like any other fish. Then again, I don't tend to have sick / ill plecos. I just leave them to it. If i do have to treat someone else's plecos - which i do quite often for some reason, i just treat them normal and they come alright.

follow the instructions on the box.

you don't have to buy caves. you can make some very nice ones.

go to a landscaping place and buy some schist. then stack some up as you like making caves.

I followed your advice about making my own caves, bought the rocks from Hollywoods, also two more pieces of bogwood, so that they are spread all over the tank :wink: Here is a pic so you can see, please excuse the dirty tank, its due for a water change tomorrow as well as filter maintanance :P

tankwithmorehiding.jpg

Here is also a pic of the little guy back in the main tank, he/she is so happy to be back, been exploring none stop :wink:

peekaboo.jpg

Sorry, I have been away for a few days so I wasn't following the forums but it is great to come back and see he has recovered as I hoped he would. Well done on the nursing care. :wink:

Thank you so very much for all your help too :wink: He is very happy back and still hiding by the heaters, silly boy/girl. But I have the heater guards now, so no stripy little burn victims LOL