Native Wood

Cricketman

So recently I've been taken by the thought of carving myself a tobacco pipe. My Grandad used to smoke one and so did my father, and it just something I want to try out...

Now to make a pipe usually your looking at briar/cherry/white ash....

What NZ native timber could I use? Just due to availability and i would like that extra association to make it special.

Cheers in advance

The term hardwood relates to the cell structure of the wood. Some woods which are hardwoods such as kauri and totara are actually soft as butter to work with or carve. A good hard wood would be black maire which is very dense and has a good grain pattern. Using the timber from coffins would be worse than the tobacco as it is customwood which is bonded with urea-formadehyde.

I know its bad etc etc. but meant to be better than other smoking. Pipe and cigar tobacco is grown differently and handled differently. Less nicotine, and no added nicotine like ciggie tobacco's. and the wood absorbs a lot of the nicotine and tar. Also, pipe tobacco you don't inhale, it is a lot harsher. Ciggie tobacco is bred to be mild so that you can inhale it easily.

I already smoke cigars on occasion, and thought a pipe would be nice to try out, and i enjoy carving and using my hands, so why not?...

The wood should be hard, and preferably not inanely flammable (seems odd but Briar is used because it withstands higher temps that other wood would start burning up at). Manuka probably wouldn't work for the flammability aspect. Totara I didn't think about...

Haven't heard of black maire, how hard is it to get hold of?

Researching black maire, it seems that it is a good wood to look out for. slow burning and great heat output should mean that it is hard enough and fire-resistant enough to handle...

Rewarewa also seems a good outlook from what I can see, anyone know more on that?

or Tawa...

I have no idea about the availability of these woods, especially in a decent size block for carving.

Researching black maire, it seems that it is a good wood to look out for. slow burning and great heat output should mean that it is hard enough and fire-resistant enough to handle...

Rewarewa also seems a good outlook from what I can see, anyone know more on that?

or Tawa...

I have no idea about the availability of these woods, especially in a decent size block for carving.

Dad uses Maire for firewood every year, if he didn't live so far away I could give you some!

A pipe is usually made with a seperate bowl and stem to get the grains running the strongest way. Rata is dense but tends to shake. One of the hardest woods is a common ornamental tree with a crispate leaf and a green or red form but for the life of me I can't remember the name. It is very common in gardens around this way.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I went with manuka and leather, and I'm glad that I did! Nice wood to work with, and easy to get hold of, nice colours in there too!

DSCF2079.jpg?t=1279575912

DSCF2066.jpg?t=1279575741

DSCF2075.jpg?t=1279575912

DSCF2065.jpg?t=1279575741

Handmade leather pouch to keep everything I need together

DSCF2080.jpg?t=1279576195

the one main imperfection, but it is just visual, smokes fine, had it running quite hot yesterday and it was still okay.

Overall, I'm happy as a pig in mud with it, smaller bowl than traditional pipes (usually ~18mm-20, where as mines maybe ~10) means alot easier to have a small amount of baccy at a time, which is good, since the bigger pipes can be smoked for hours at a time off one bowl, and I really don't want that much at a time. Learnt a lot making it, was really good fun. Might start making them to sell at market days...

My next pipe I'm thinking Totara...

I've been using Le Paz vanilla panetella cigar, just crushed up the internal (machine made) and then cut the outer leaves into flakes. Does very well, and easy on the wallet at $3.50 for panatella... compared to $50+ for a bag of pipe tobacco.

Tried a Tatiana cherry that didn't even taste or smell the slightest like cherry... :roll:

Quite enjoying discovering new brands and types of tobacco, the Dutch tobaccos are completely different to the cuban or havana, and the English pipe tobaccos are incredibly hard to smoke unless your used to it... :o