New 60l

knightmarc

For hang-on Nano skimmers I hear and have read great things about the Aqua C Remora's.

As there is no NZ distributor ive been speaking to them direct and got some pricing.

heres what they said: (Price is USD, worked out about $300 NZ for the standard Remora including shipping.)

Hi Pete,

The standard Remora will allow you to stock the tank more heavily, but will be too tall unless the tank is sitting on a properly sized stand that will allow the skimmer to hang below the bottom of the tank. If the tank is sitting on a countertop or stand that extends beyond the back of the tank, you'll need to go with the Nano Remora, which is designed for shorter tanks.

The cost for the Remora is US$149.00 (pump not included, Maxi Jet 1200 or equivalent recommended), and shipping and handling will be an additional $60, for a total of $209.00. The Nano Remora is $125.00 (Maxi Jet 900 or equivalent recommended), and shipping will be $60.00, for a total of $185.00. We accept credit card (Visa and MasterCard only) and Paypal. For credit card payments, we need your name (as it appears on the card), billing address, shipping address (if different), card type, card number, and expiration date. Paypal transfers can be made to [email protected].

We're always looking for distributors - you can have them contact us, and I'll put them in touch with Jason Kim, the owner here, who can provide them with info on pricing, shipping, etc...

Thanks again!

I would remove the aquafuge , pretty much a waste of time as it is to small to remove anything, just get a decent hang on skimmer.

The sand is fine as it will provide a base for bacteria to grow.

As will the rock, which at this stage will be house far more bacteria than you need - i know people who promote sand like its some nivana - then change it everytime they have a tank veiwing so it looks "white", but unless you are looking at a dsb, best to leave the sand until tanks mature.

Yes that Remora looks good, thought skimmers for nano tanks were abit over kill and normally bulky but will look in to getting one of those, does that mean not a frequent water changes required as was going to do weekly ones but less would would be better as seem to go though 10litres per week pure dew just for top ups.

The aquafuge I was going to put macroalgae in and liked that it kept the heater out of the main tank.

The sand I added party for look but also because the 1st fish I want to get is a yellow watchman goby or similar and thought they needed a sandy bottom.

Macro algae will aborb nitrogenous compounds, so youll need algae, with light.

Or you could get a 100ml pouch of seachem purigen and throw that in there instead... will do a much better job at keeping nitrates etc.. at 0 hopefully.

Skimmer helps, means you can stock heavier and feed heavier if you so wish - removes dissolved organic solids before they turn into nitrogenous compounds.

I have a nano power skimmer on my 80L and it seems to work ok - all the rock has decaying stuff coming off it all the time, and the skimmer is skimming.

Im no expert btw, im just doing my first SW too.

i know people who promote sand like its some nivana - then change it everytime they have a tank veiwing so it looks "white",

Not heard of people promoting sand and then changing it to keep white, sounds like a lot of work.

I tend to change my sand once every two-three years and it stays white to a degree because it is a Aragonite base and i stir it on a regular bases.

Most sand in New Zealand is calcite and falsely labeled as Aragonite. Aragonite is expensive, Calcite is cheap.

Calcite is very hard so it does not break down so hence it can start to go brown, On the other hand Aragonite is soft so it breaks down over time;

• 3 weeks later...

yeah I'm growing a lawn on the front of my tank

photo0059a.jpg

Nitrites still reading 1.0 really wish this would drop

I've been home sick last two days (it's a workplace tank) so had abit of a suprise, had gone through the brown and started on the green when last it saw it and now covered in it.

Also in the middle at the front of the rock was what looked like 2 small dug out areas of white sand (most of has purple and green on it) I've pushed the sand back up to the rock to see if it happens again, could I have hitchhikers? Nearly all the rock was dry rock but I do have acouple of small pieces from someone elses tank and did a water change last Saturday with NSW instead of ASW like normal.

photo0065v.jpg

After a 50% water change and algae removal with a sharp blade, whats the best way to get it off the rock or should I let it just die off?

youll probably have to let it die off. some fish or snails will eat it too.

anything you do to the rock to clean it might kill the bacteria?

i dont think a water change wouldve helped personally - just giving the algae a fresh supply of nutrients...

Id reduce the lighting hours, and get a phosphate remover into the filter. My phosphates tested at 0, but i started running phos-gard and the algae started reducing the next day....

theres probably a better way, but im just following logic - to get it to die off, starve it of light and nutrients.

I've currently got a damsel in my tank and got given some small soft corals and an anemome when I picked him up, the guy was closing down his tank and moving the next day.

The leather coral that you can see in the above pics and small mushrooms all looked like they were doing good til last Friday, now the leather does not open up and the mushrooms look abit sick. The cycle only showed done on Mon and still shows clear with new testing today, I did a did a 50% water change last night with ASW and cleaed out some of the hair aglae but there still alot on the rock.

Any ideas on what need to do.

Also just received some strontium, Magnesium and iodide supplements today that I got off trademe 2nd hand if they may help.

I've currently got a damsel in my tank and got given some small soft corals and an anemome when I picked him up, the guy was closing down his tank and moving the next day.

The leather coral that you can see in the above pics and small mushrooms all looked like they were doing good til last Friday, now the leather does not open up and the mushrooms look abit sick. The cycle only showed done on Mon and still shows clear with new testing today, I did a did a 50% water change last night with ASW and cleaed out some of the hair aglae but there still alot on the rock.

Any ideas on what need to do.

Also just received some strontium, Magnesium and iodide supplements today that I got off trademe 2nd hand if they may help.

They probably didnt appreciate such a big water change... especially considering there wouldve been a change in salinity and temperature probably too...

• 2 weeks later...

Still a big mess of green, have small bag of Phosphate remover in the aquaclear as well as some Seachem Purigen and have had my skimmer working well for the last 4-5 days.

It's not really showing any sign of going yet, it's worse than the photos i put up, not much new growth just alot longer.

• 3 weeks later...