Compatibility in a community

oneeyedfrog

I have a 120 x60 x60 planted tank with

6 cory, 2 gba, 8 glowlights, 8 neons, 8 male guppies, 2 steelblue apisto, 5 diamond tetra. I am adding a Royal whiptail as soon as I get it picked up.

I am planning on adding 8-10 black neons and 6 dwarf chain loaches - aqadvisor reckons the loaches may fin nip the guppies. Is this so?

I have also been eyeing up a blue ram- Aqadvisor sez they are too aggressive towards glowlights- Is this so?

Pet shop recommends congo tetras. Would they be compatible or are they too big?

Thanks

Loaches are bottom dwellers. Guppies chill out at the surface. I cant see much problem with loaches nipping the fins of guppies.

I don't think the blue rams are agressive specifically towards glowlights. They're just moderately territorial like most cichlids.:)

Rams are dwarf cichlids. They will be territorial, like Ira said. Shouldn't be too big a deal in your size tank :lol:

I have a 135ltr tank, I have 5 neons, 3 cat fish, 5 other tetras and 10 guppy frys. I really like the colours of some chinchillers (cant Spell), but worried they will eat my neons are they alright in a community tank?

chinchilla.jpg

???

This is a chinchilla.... I have no idea what a "chinchiller" is. Perhaps you might like to describe it?

Ah cool . I was thinking that Aqadvisor may be too cautious. But better to ask people who have kept them than have carnage in the tank :lol:

What about the congo tetra? Anyone kept them. Will they eat the little tetra and/or the plants -I think I read somewhere they eat plants?

I think you will find congos are happiest in a group and your tank isn't big enough for a good sized group. I am looking to getting some myself when I get my 6ft as I think they will look nice with torpedo barbs 8)

I would recommend electric blue rams. They really pop will colour and are peaceful with other fish. Males will fight for territory with other male rams, but once they establish it, they will get along well.

OK so I was having a blonde moment. I meant cichlids. :oops: