Aarons First Marine setup Journal – Lots of PHOTOS

ar-photography

well you can look at it like that, but if you just get tank raised fish which alot of them are, keeps enthusiasts away from

ending up with wild caught species, and alot of us are into coral which is like plant clippings which will keep industry happy and no way detrimental to anything in the wild.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can't journey in aquatics/fishkeeping without a journey of UPs :wink: and hopefully only a few down/losses :dead%fish :cry:

Can't say I really want to keep marines, I guess that is the 'green' side of me, would rather not take from wild populations.

Anyway, nice tank, good coral growth and some nice macro shots. Good effort 8)

I assume you know most fresh water fish are also wild caught and if anything the impact is higher since there is a far smaller market for marines the the collection has far tighter controls.

Blue Linkia Star up close

mg4103.jpg

Latest sump photo.

mg4738.jpg

My man cave

mg4743.jpg

Here is a first shot with the night lights on. check out who is always last to go to bed.

mg4854.jpg

makes me feel sad about my fish tank im thinking of re doing my marine just because of this photo great job what night light is that? and were did you get it? :bounce:

ps. you inspired me to go marine after folowing this link :wink:

Man i love that Mandarin!

He really is awesome and loves to come for a chat and show off every morning

wow looking very nice

Thanks Rosco has come along way since starting

awesome tank well done. Love the manderine fish. can't wait till i have the time and money to do a marine set up

Thanks mate and when you do start just take you time and do the study very rewarding in the end :nilly:

you can't journey in aquatics/fishkeeping without a journey of UPs :wink: and hopefully only a few down/losses :dead%fish :cry:

Can't say I really want to keep marines, I guess that is the 'green' side of me, would rather not take from wild populations.

Anyway, nice tank, good coral growth and some nice macro shots. Good effort 8)

Thanks for your comment, all my corals are tank grown frags nothing is taken from the reefs. a lot of the hobbies favorite fish are being bread and if not the study is being done to get captive breeding underway. as for my tank I have picked up a lot of my fish from people closing down there tank. To be honest it’s the teenaged larger fish such as groupers that are being taken of the reefs in MASSES for the food markets before the fish even has a chance reproduce is more of an issue than marine reef keeping.

well you can look at it like that, but if you just get tank raised fish which alot of them are, keeps enthusiasts away from

ending up with wild caught species, and alot of us are into coral which is like plant clippings which will keep industry happy and no way detrimental to anything in the wild.

Very True rosco

makes me feel sad about my fish tank im thinking of re doing my marine just because of this photo great job what night light is that? and were did you get it? :bounce:

ps. you inspired me to go marine after folowing this link :wink:

I hope you do step into the world of marine its good fun.

My lights are a 110w Maxspect G2 LEDs i got them from Raeh1 on trademe but I don’t believe he is selling them anymore.

!drool: !drool: !drool: !drool: !drool: !drool: !drool: !drool: !drool: !drool: !drool:

!sorry for the puddle

That made me smile cheers mate

What a great write up. Many thanks indeed. This has helped me immensely in my research on beginning my marine set up.

Your welcome feel free to contact me for any info i myself am still learning everyday but can still help out.

Not a huge update from the long weekend apart from it was water collection time and that was amazing such a beautiful evening

5646055052_6a27e4e070_z.jpg

Did a 30% water change also realised i was under flowing my UV unit the max is 500 L/h and I was running it at 110 L/h so sped that up to 430 L/h and the water is looking lovely this morning.

Also have been dosing ZEOzyn and Biomate combo as well as VSV over the last 4 weeks and wow the rocks are looking spanking fresh and my skimmer is running so well getting almost a full cup every 2 days. hair algae is pretty much all gone and I’m so happy about that.

This is 3 days worth of THICK skimmacrap

mg6940h.jpg

How much did you spend on the setup. Sorry if I didn't see it anyway. I was going to setup a marine. But I have so much commenting with my 1200L and my 250L tank. Looking at your pictures motivated me on converting my 250L to a marine. But I don't have the cash to do so.

How much did you spend on the setup. Sorry if I didn't see it anyway. I was going to setup a marine. But I have so much commenting with my 1200L and my 250L tank. Looking at your pictures motivated me on converting my 250L to a marine. But I don't have the cash to do so.

To be honest I don’t really want to add it up.

I started with a cheap first reef in mind and ended up getting carried away :) all my equipment could handle a 400-500ltr system so I ended up future proofing

Below is a very rough idea of what I have spent over the past 10 months I do not need any more equipment unless they are luxuries such as dosing pumps etc

For example here is a list what I spent just to get started with fish only

Tank and half the stand 2nd hand ($200ish check post 1 for what it did look like, this came with return pump and heater also)

Sump modifications $90

Coral Rock (dead) $210 for 25kg sack

Coral sand $30 10kg bag (and that was cheap)

20ltr Bucket of salt $190 (I now collect my water from the beach much cheaper for me)

RODI water $6 per 20ltr

Skimmer $250

Refractometer $70

Basic API test kit set (ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph) $75

API kH test kit $15 ish

Total $1305 ish

and what I have spent since

Maxspect 110w G2 LEDs $710

Phosban phosphate reactor $100

18w UV unit $175

Hanna phosphate tester $90

Additives $ couldn’t really put a price on it

Live stock (fish and inverts) $1000+

Corals $400 ish

And I have missed the likes of weekly maintenance etc

Total $2475 ish

You have to factor in the ongoing running costs too which are much higher for marine than freshwater :roll:

Yes and no by collecting my water in bulk and having a RODI source the biggest cost is the calcium and magnesium / other additives that I need to buy every few months.

I have not noticed a change in the power bill from when I had a fresh water setup.

To be honest I don’t think it’s any more or less than setting up and running a good size planted discus setup

You have to factor in the ongoing running costs too which are much higher for marine than freshwater :roll:

Theres no doubt the electricity cost are higher on marine but not as much higher as you would think. The biggest cost for fresh water is heating, with most marine the lighting heats the tank enough that you don't need to heat the water so to a large degree the light and heating cancel each other out, after that it's just the difference in powering the pumps (which also help to heat the water).

This weekend’s new arrivals for the tank

• Green/blue Acro with blue tips
    Pale green Acro
    Green with purple tips Acro
    Blue plating Acro with fluro green base
    Blue Acro
    Green Pocci
    green bali slimer frags
    small birds nest
    Large gorgonian
    purple monti digi
    brown stags
    green monti digi frag
    pink monti digi
    green milli on rock
    nice green acro
    large rock with zoos

This weekend’s new arrivals for the tank

• Green/blue Acro with blue tips
    Pale green Acro
    Green with purple tips Acro
    Blue plating Acro with fluro green base
    Blue Acro
    Green Pocci
    green bali slimer frags
    small birds nest
    Large gorgonian
    purple monti digi
    brown stags
    green monti digi frag
    pink monti digi
    green milli on rock
    nice green acro
    large rock with zoos

WOW!!! thats quite a list you have there!!