Peat or ADA Amazonia Substrate for Aquarium Plants?

Joe

Hi people,

I would like to know if ADA Amazonia substrate is worth ordering from Australia or if I should use peat instead. I was reading a book and it recommended clay like substrates (I've got some Dalton's Aquatic Mix) and peat. But then I saw that ADA stuff on the internet and it looks good! So what should I use - peat or the ADA stuff? Please help me!!!

Joe

the ADA stuff is awesome, i know friends that use it overseas and i have seen for myself how well plants grow with it..but i like p44 said i'll doubt MAF will let you bring it in and its pretty ching ching stuff, i think its like $40aus for 2litres plus shipping IF you are allow it in

i have tried using peat, plants do grow well BUT your water is always going to turn a brown colour...good if you want a biotope look lol

The plants are going to be planted in pieces of bogwood, with bits hollowed out for them. The peat/ADA or whatever I was going to end up using was to be mixed with Dalton's Aquatic Mix, with sand on top to stop it leaching tannins and loam. I will only have a few plants like this, and the rest of the plants will consist of ferns, mosses and maybe some riccia tied down. I am using DIY CO2, and strong T8 lighting. I am hoping to upgrade to T5 though. I'm also going to use Flourish Excel and Comprehensive.

Remember, enriched substrates will generally need to be renewed when they are spent and this means tearing down the tank and removing the spent substrate. You will also need to keep on top of water changes with enriched substrates so there is not an excess of nutrients building up in the water column. If you aren't having lots of root feeders, why have enriched substrates though? It might be better to just use root tabs under the plants that need it.

Remember, enriched substrates will generally need to be renewed when they are spent and this means tearing down the tank and removing the spent substrate.

I read that if done properly, it needs to be redone every 10 years or more! But the whole point was to give the plants a really good kick-start. I'll use JBL Balls too, cause they are really cheap - about $16 for a packet of 7, plus they last a year.

Do DIY clay balls! (I can hear P44 spewing from here) But I've used them with no issues so far. Can't not any improvement or difference as I'm using them to grow Ambulia and Apongenton undulatus for the first time but no abnormal algae or water issues.

HTH

or $29 for a packet of 20...

Um... I don't think I'll need that much! My tank is 100cm long, 30cm wide and 50cm high. I'm mainly going to have moss, Larrow-leaf Java Fern, some anubias, Windelov and Bolbitis heudelotii. I'll have a few Crypts, and some Cyperus helferi IF I can get some, maybe some lilaeopsis, sagittaria and a bit of hairgrass, and I might have a bit of Riccia and mondo grass too.

100x30 footprint I would use more than 20 really.

As I said, I'm only going to have a FEW plants that root in the substrate, then the rest of my plants will be ferns and mosses. Have a look at this:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... -45-a.html

Pretty cool don't you think. I'm aiming for this sort of tank, with that mossy log effect. But I want a few other plants like Crypts and stuff to add variety, as we don't have a lot of different mosses in NZ. I really wish we had different types of Fissidens, or that DOC would let us use F. berteroi.

You might need to make do with what's available in NZ, depending on your budget you could try Aquabasis with a layer of Manado

I had a look at these two. Which one is best? Or do they both have different properties so would it be best to use a mixture of both? I'll look out for these when I go to Christchurch. They might sell this sort of stuff at Redwood Aquatics.

I've just gone for the jbl aquabasis think that manado is more of a gravel than a plant substrate

I had a look at these two. Which one is best? Or do they both have different properties so would it be best to use a mixture of both? I'll look out for these when I go to Christchurch. They might sell this sort of stuff at Redwood Aquatics.

I've just gone for the jbl aquabasis think that manado is more of a gravel than a plant substrate

Don't quote me on this cause I've thrown away the bag but I'm sure the Manado is made from clay and would be used over Aquabasis. I've used a Seachem Flourite and Manado on top.... Maybe you use Aquabasis on the bottom and a layer of fine gravel over? If your not planting many plants in the substrate you could save yourself some coin and use some nice gravel with root tabs... :wink:

There was JBL Aquabasis Plus almost everywhere I went in Christchurch. I didn't get any, because I really needed Flourish Excel and had to stock up on plants. But JBL Root Balls are good though. They sell those at the shop in Blenheim, so I can get them whenever I need them. By the way, I DID manage to obtain some Cyperus helferi. I got a pot for $6.90 from Organism. It is stunning. I'll have to go back there and get some more next time I got to Christchurch. Other purchases were Black Neon Tetras x11, Limnophila sessiliflora, Red-line Rasboras x10, Ludwigia repens, Stargrass and various mosses, ferns and a few other plants. I really enjoyed the shop and tank crawl on Monday. My highlight was Jennifer's tanks. They are STUNNING! :hail: I really want plant growth like that. Her rainbow tank was really nice, and the substrate was Dalton't Propergating Sand. It's not exactly sand, sort of just really fine gravel. It looks really nice, so I'll have to get some. I've always wanted this kind of substrate, but never really knew what to look for.