May 29, 201016 yr comment_374086 Help ..... 2 of my 6 Discus have been doing naughty things the result is about 40 eggs on 1 of the filter uptake pipes. silly place to put them..... I think it happened yesterday. This is the first time for all concerned Both parants are on guard duty ( and good at it as well ) the question is :- Do you think that if i take the filter pipe off and put it and mum and dad in a floating net tank inside my aquaone 980 tank (215 ltr ) is a good idea. I would post a pic of mum & the eggs - but dont know how to Report
May 29, 201016 yr comment_374087 send me the pics rod (email button) and ill post them for you. This is what is supposed to happen - you leave the eggs with the parents; the eggs hatch - babies stick to the parents and feed of a certain slime coat the parents produce. This is called discus milk. After a few days they eat other things as well like brineshrimp and egg yolk. The water should be of an impeccable quality and water changes are to be done regularly - often twice a day if not more. raising fry is possibly the biggest challenge. Report
May 29, 201016 yr comment_374100 If you try to move them then they are likely to see this as a threat and eat the eggs.Your best option is to leave this batch and then set mum and dad up in there own breeding tank. Report
May 29, 201016 yr comment_374105 If you try to move them then they are likely to see this as a threat and eat the eggs.Your best option is to leave this batch and then set mum and dad up in there own breeding tank. Good idea - mine always spawn on the filter uptake and as the eggs turn into wrigglers and detach they end up going up into the filter (or into the harlequins mouths). However, mine won't spawn when they are removed from the main tank Report
May 29, 201016 yr Author comment_374108 Thank you all for the replies . I will follow your advice . I have read by copy of Practcal Fishkeeping ( Issue 2 Feb'10 page 19 ) it tells of how to breed , But miss's out on other things that you guy's have not. Again thanks a lot. I will post some pic's as soon as I can ( get it sorted out ) Regards Rod. Report
May 29, 201016 yr Author comment_374109 Thank you, I have sent you 1 Regards Rod . send me the pics rod (email button) and ill post them for you. This is what is supposed to happen - you leave the eggs with the parents; the eggs hatch - babies stick to the parents and feed of a certain slime coat the parents produce. This is called discus milk. After a few days they eat other things as well like brineshrimp and egg yolk. The water should be of an impeccable quality and water changes are to be done regularly - often twice a day if not more. raising fry is possibly the biggest challenge. Report
May 29, 201016 yr comment_374126 Another site that has great info on discus is http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/index.shtml This is the North American Discus Assoc site Report
May 29, 201016 yr Author comment_374127 Thank you for the post that is mum guarding the eggs . For Rod - Report
May 29, 201016 yr Author comment_374134 Thanks - still trying :oops: you just have to copy and paste the "IMG" code. Report
May 29, 201016 yr comment_374164 Just post the IMG code for the pic you want to show, it is usually the bottom option when you mouse over the image in your albums and looks like the line above. Nice pics, btw. Report
May 29, 201016 yr Author comment_374233 Nearly there photo , but no text I think I placed the pic B4 I entered the text, that should have read :- Mom on the left , Dad in the middle. Just after feeding , the eggs are behing the plants. next one I will put in the text first Report
May 29, 201016 yr comment_374235 Nice setup. You can put the text before or after the code for the image - just don't mess with the line of code. Report
May 29, 201016 yr Author comment_374237 Out of focus. But Mom in front, Dad behind @ changing of the guard. The eggs are on the filter up-take tube . since the pic was taken 3 eggs have turned white ( infertile I think ) Report
May 29, 201016 yr comment_374257 Beautiful tank Rod,looks very clean too If the eggs don't all fungus over and go on to hatch,it is very difficult to raise them in the community tank If they have a good bond they will spawn again on a weekly basis,dependent on water quality Let them spawn a few times in the community tank to improve this bond and to see if you get wrigglers so you know you have a pair Then you can move them to there own tank and see how they get on Good luck! Report
May 29, 201016 yr Author comment_374260 Beautiful tank Rod,looks very clean too If the eggs don't all fungus over and go on to hatch,it is very difficult to raise them in the community tank If they have a good bond they will spawn again on a weekly basis,dependent on water quality Let them spawn a few times in the community tank to improve this bond and to see if you get wrigglers so you know you have a pair Then you can move them to there own tank and see how they get on Good luck! Thanks for the info, I did not know they could spawn as quick as that. Every Saturday I Wash the Fish I normaly do a 50% water change and give the plants a hair cut that takes about 2 hours I only noticed the eggs after I started the water change, I allready had syphoned 15 ltr out , and Mom went a bit agro the eggs were/are about mid tank so I managed to take another 30 ltr out and still keep the eggs under water. I will change 45 ltrs every day now . That is about 20%. Report
May 29, 201016 yr Author comment_374261 Again , Thanks for all the support and Information Guy's.If you dont mind, I will post up-date's as and when something happens. :bounce: Report
May 31, 201016 yr Author comment_374526 Sorry guys, the Eggsitment is over During the night, Some one decided to have a mid-night feed :evil: To be honest I half expected it to happen Still , - Plenty more fish in the sea - I have noted , and taken on board all the advice and tip you guys have offered over the last few days . Thank You Thank You Thank You Keep up the GOOD work Regards, Rod. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.