End on tanks

diver21

Does anyone here have their tanks in their fishroom set up so that theyre end on? and if so whats your reasoning and how do you find it to work on compared to length on?

Im in the process of nutting out my fishroom and concidering having some tanks end on in the racks.

I have a bank of 6 fry tanks end on. As Ryan has said it purely to maximize space, They are no that different to work on as long as the shelf above isn't too close.

I have tanks that are 50mm off the floor but I have the ability to run a hose out the fishroom door and onto the lawn which is quite a bit lower so getting a strong syphon is not an issue.

My tanks that run on a central filter system are all end on, they are small tanks though, just under 300mm in length anyway, I can fit three on a shelf rather than just two, they are for breeding/raising fry, and as Ryan says, not for display.

I use the Hammerlock shelves, my lowest tank is about 400 from the ground - could put some on the bottom shelf, but it would ruin my back and then where would I put my junk?

I think my lowest tanks are around 300 above the ground and that is just enough to establish a slow siphon when doing a water change, I have had tanks on the floor before and they are impossible to get siphon going..

Any self respecting fishgeek should have all kinds of spare powerheads around to pump the water out anyway.

When I had a fish house I had a heap of tanks and most were 600 x 600mm which I found was about as deep through that I could comfortably reach. I had tanks on the floor and a pump for emptying tanks. There is a local guy here doing a lot of breeding who would have at least a couple of hundred tanks and his are mainly that size as well but a wee way off the floor. He has an automatic water change system though.

the tanks im thinking of using are all 1000x400x400, about 15 of them, possibly more.

and i will have to siphon all the tanks into a bucket, i have been concidering having a central siphon point in the room being just a half drum in the middle of the room with a pond pump to pump the waste water out the window

I think it would only be a matter of time before you threw your back out or got tennis elbow cleaning this number of tanks of with buckets...

Any chance you can reach a drain/window/faucet with a longer hose (like a python)?

the tanks im thinking of using are all 1000x400x400, about 15 of them, possibly more.

and i will have to siphon all the tanks into a bucket, i have been concidering having a central siphon point in the room being just a half drum in the middle of the room with a pond pump to pump the waste water out the window

yes i could, i use the window for the top tanks but for the lower tanks its hard to start the siphon and have it running out the window. and is there a clear solid tube available somewhere as the one i get from plastic box is flimsy and way too easy to kink. the bathroom is down the hallway and i dont like teaving the other end unattended unless its excessivly secure, as i have cats that like to attack moving water, yes cats.

I saw clear hoses that are both thicker (less flimsy) and also ones reinforced with fiber/wire mesh at Bunnings.

I think that a pump will probably be the way you have to go in order to siphon upwards.

yes i could, i use the window for the top tanks but for the lower tanks its hard to start the siphon and have it running out the window. and is there a clear solid tube available somewhere as the one i get from plastic box is flimsy and way too easy to kink. the bathroom is down the hallway and i dont like teaving the other end unattended unless its excessivly secure, as i have cats that like to attack moving water, yes cats.

How about if you arrange your tanks like this (A) instead? You would need a bit more depth but it would be very accessible. Each of the 5 shelves could fit 3 levels of tank giving you a total of 15 and using the same amount of length as you have in B.

2724209560033337904S600x600Q85.jpg

thats a good point, but i would remove the center of the E in picture 'A' as that would only give me about 40cm gap between the tanks coming out from the wall, i think i will start the room with the normal long lengths showing and will add in the branches later.

Thanks for the idea.

now to just start designing and building tank stands that can easily be broken down so i can get them out of the room if need be

I saw clear hoses that are both thicker (less flimsy) and also ones reinforced with fiber/wire mesh at Bunnings.

I think that a pump will probably be the way you have to go in order to siphon upwards.

Siphon upwards, lol.

I have a few end on banks of tanks in my fishroom.. Means you can fit quite a few tanks in a smaller space, it is a little harder to work on them, and means it is also harder to view the fish in them so definitely not for display tanks..

me too - so i can fit more on the shelf :oops:

That set up might be okay with bare bottom tanks but it looks like you would be struggling to get a decent sponge filter in that gap.